2020 AM Rally: January 31 - February 2

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N1BCG, Jan 3, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

"Not in it to winnit" -- a station having a good time in the AM Rally. That's my approach too, and I've adopted his slogan now written at the top of my three pages of logsheets. I've worked several dozen stations, all on 40 meters, and have enjoyed seeing AM QSOs from 7250 on up. A surprising amount of activity was late night, say 9pm EST through Midnight when I finally had to turn-in.

Just fired back up as the sun comes up Sunday on 40m, hoping to work stations closer-in.

2. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for linking the thread above. Very interesting reading. I never realized there was such an animosity towards the use of AM. Sheesh!

While I wasn't participating in the AM Rally with my AM pipsqueak TS-590, I certainly enjoyed listening to a group in the Northeast with their big iron on 3875Kc last night. Propagation was cooperating for a couple of hours and I was hearing them quite well here in East Texas.

Hats off to those AM'ers who've taken the time to build some FINE sounding stations. Keep using 'em!

3. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, there was active persecution, not just by regular hams but people in positions of authority who arrogantly decided for everyone that slopbucket was the only worthwhile way to operate phone.
    Call yourself anything you want. I am an AM operator, not a "voice mode user."
    You need to construct a CQ robot. Don has done this. Loosely described, his method employs a dual channel recorder with repeat playback. On one channel you record your voice CQ. on the opposite channel you record an audio sinewave from a signal generator or some other source such as a code practice oscillator. Start the sine wave first, then record your CQ. At the end of the CQ stop the audio tone but let the recorder keep recording for another 15 seconds or so. you need an audio amplifier to amplify the tone so it produces a sine wave with enough p.p. voltage to, after rectification and filtering, energize the coil on a low v. dc relay. Something like 6 v. spst. Put the relay contacts across your T/R toggle switch. Start the repeat playback. Tone keys rig. After a slight delay allowing for everything to switch over and the rig to come on, the audio begins. Feed this through your preamp and air chain and adjust modulation level. The CQ ends, the tone ends, the relay opens and everything flips back to rx so you can listen for replies. Then it repeats. Clever eh? Now you can CQ on some frequency for as long as you want while you spend your time in the shack working on a project and saving your voice. Here's a recorder that should work:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sangean-DAR-...angean+digital+recorder&qid=1579965300&sr=8-2
    I also want to build up such a thing. Calling CQ for a half hour gets old and fatigue and impatience conspire to make CQing unpopular on certain bands or 75 m. frequencies, which perpetuates the AM window.

W1TRY likes this.
  4. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

W1AW will be on the air until 4 PM eastern time. We are currently on 3.885 MHz. The Gates BC-1T has operated flawlessly with thousands of plate on/off cycles. Much fun on 160, 40, 20 and 6 meters, too. This has been an excellent AM rally. Thank you everyone.

WA3VJB and W1TRY like this.
  5. W2IMZ

W2IMZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is on 14.285 at the moment? I can hear it coming and going but not enough to get an ID. It's the only AM signal I have been able to get today. Using a shortened vertical with tuner matching impedance. Just trying to listen in before I make any attempt to transmit.

6. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the QSO Bob (and Larry) and a great signal from Newington today. QSL is in the mail to hopefully adorn the Gates!

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Scenes of the AM Rally at the ARRL Laboratory in Newington, CT

2A42F78C-70BE-4723-B261-75F4A4221A84.jpeg 55CAAC33-D460-449B-8074-E8DDEF1B6AE0.jpeg 922DFE5D-D025-4B65-90EE-616E43035C99.jpeg F3E50F3E-FE47-438B-A347-CC67DA8DE2AF.jpeg 42FDF80E-5355-426D-88FD-82106F68EBB1.jpeg 568FEA86-704D-43D5-A36A-35487630BEAA.jpeg D73B292E-E87C-497F-9238-574E4A068074.jpeg

WA3VJB likes this.
  8. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

THIS year's event...

(Above pix)

1) "Ladies Night at W1AW" with the expected bedazzled op pileups. Kerri KC2UFU, Stephanie WX3K, Tanya W3TKP, and Lisa KB3WFV/YL with the Gates BC1T and Flex 6500 receiver.

2) Bob Allison, ARRL Asst. Lab Manager operates a K7DYY AM transmitter and classic Collins 75A4 receiver on 40M.

We have TONS of pics and videos, including a tour of the ARRL Laboratory, RF-proof product testing screen room, and an incredible radio museum, but it's going to take a bit to sort through everything... STAND BY!

And, a H-U-G-E THANK YOU to our host Bob Allison WB1GCM and the ARRL for hosting us yet AGAIN (and encouraging the ladies to take over on Saturday night)! So much fun!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
  9. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a few people including W1AW with the Nouveau 75 rig (5 watts carrier) today in the morning.
    I wonder if anyone else made use of one.
    I worked quite a few stations running under 50 watts carrier....
    Sure was a wide range of rig types on the air!

10. WB2PKR

WB2PKR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I worked HC5DX at about that time on 14.286. Dave was a solid S9+ . Heard WC2K work him too.