ad: Radclub22-1

2019 State of Ham Radio Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N8RMA, Mar 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8RMA

N8RMA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello friends in amateur radio!

It's time for the third annual State of the Hobby survey! Last year saw a huge increase in participation and I hope to continue that trend in 2019. Please take a few minutes to fill out the survey for this year and share with your radioactive peers. You can check out the survey link, along with previous results (2017, 2018) on my blog! Results for this year will be published around mid-April, and I highly recommend subscribing to the blog for notifications.

http://www.radiosoth.org/2019/03/2019-state-of-hobby-survey.html

I want to extend a HUGE thank you for all the positive support and assistance in spreading the word. The amount of responses and feedback last year was overwhelming, and I couldn't have been more delighted.

73!

KK4HPY, W6SAE, NU4R and 2 others like this.
  2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting results from prior surveys. Thanks for doing this.

Just one "nit". Under the questions about what are the "issues" facing amateur radio, you have as possible choices "Young Operators" and "Old Operators".

What do you mean, exactly ? That there are too many "Young Operators" ( or "Old Operators"), or not enough "Young" (or "Old") operators? Or that the "Young" (or "Old") are causing problems?

There's so many different ways of understanding the question, that I'm not sure it's possible to interpret the results in a meaningful way.

KF4ZKU, KA1FWW, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  3. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree there are multiple interpretations of the age-related questions. "Young Operators" could mean not enough, poor on-air habits, or too many of them. But if the perceived age issue is not enough young people, a later alternate choice is available. I forget the exact words, but it is something like hams "getting old."

I'm almost 66, and when I go to meetings where I am still one of the "youngsters," we have a problem.

KF4ZKU, KB5UZB, KC2PMM and 2 others like this.
  4. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! I know, I am considered one of the youngsters at 54... But you know what? We can learn from the Elmers and most will be very happy to help out; if they'er not in black socks and sandals shouting, "get the hell on my HAM lawn!" I do feel there is a loss of civility on some freqs and clicks... That I attribute to a lot of things however. Let me go take the time for this survey. 73!

KF4ZKU and KK4HPY like this.
  5. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please fix..
    Do you below to at least one local radio club? *

Yes

No

AF9US likes this.
  6. KD2NOM

KD2NOM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just completed the survey

7. W4MMR

W4MMR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting survey but definitely aimed at fanning the fires of CW requirements (last century), the state of the hobby as it concerns age, how much money did you spend, radio brand favorites, and if the hobby is a service. It's time to move on and quit trying to keep the kids out of the front yard. Why is there a question concerning the state of any hobby?

KK4HPY and AF5VP like this.
  8. WB8LBZ/SK2023

WB8LBZ/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, I below to at least one radio club. Spell check won't find that one.

73, Larry WB8LBZ
    El Paso, TX

9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

They're ewe go again about spell Czech.

K0TWA, W2CPD, KA1FWW and 2 others like this.
  10. W7RY

W7RY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The survey is simply gathering data, and get YOUR opinion.

I did not see any fans, fire or flame.

Jim W7RY

K3DFD, WD4IGX, W6SAE and 2 others like this.
  11. N4OW

N4OW Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to include a Side Swiper / Cootie Key in your key list. There are many in use.

W1BV and AF7EC like this.
  12. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Completed, I use XLog on linux. didn't see it so I filled it in.

13. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Required answers? Why?

K2LED and N1KFC like this.
  14. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

wow... Here's an idea; if you don't want to take the survey, don't. If you do want to participate, do. Guys are just looking for reasons to complain about age victimization, wording, requirements, spelling, and on and on and on. It's a fun survey, not scientific... This is why we can't have nice things.

KK4HPY, N5RFX, N4TVC and 4 others like this.
  15. K7LRB

K7LRB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What W8JBM said!
    73 and HAVE FUN!

W8JBM likes this.