2019 Ram RFI on deceleration only

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KC5MDK, Mar 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Harass a dealer to look up technical service bulletins. Finding someone who knows what they are doing and willing to do any actual work can take a lot of time and effort, though.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like it is something related to the etorque system on the truck, assuming it has that. A description of its operation seems to indicate that it turns on during deceleration:

"When lifting off the throttle at speed, eTorque’s motor/generator begins to generate electrical energy that feeds back to its battery pack while also smoothing transmission downshifts. It provides a brief torque boost of 90 lb-ft in V-6 RAMs and 130 lb-ft in V-8 models. Along with adding torque during shifts, it contributes torque while transitioning in and out of four-cylinder mode during V-8 cylinder deactivation. The eTorque system restarts the engine and resumes forward motion within 70 milliseconds after an auto-stop. An interactive deceleration fuel shut-off system also saves fuel.

Electrical energy in the eTorque system is stored in a 30 pound, 430 watt-hour LG Chem battery pack mounted at the rear wall of the pickup cab. The system includes a DC-to-DC converter to supply the vehicle’s regular electrical loads and charge its 12-volt starter battery."
    https://greencarjournal.com/technology/how-ram-etorque-works/

N2AMM and N0TZU like this.
  3. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am sure that Dodge sells some trucks to fleets that use radios. Knowledge about this should be out there somewhere.

Ed

4. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What's that I hear on the radio? Nothing is easy by Jethro Tull?

RRK

5. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I dated a girl once that was very interested in trains...

RRK

6. N2AMM

N2AMM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had good luck with Ram Cares. BTW, no Dodge trucks after 2011.;)

Ram Care - Complimentary service and support for Ram Truck ...
    [​IMG]https://ramcare.ramtrucks.com/Owner/
    Ram Care Benefits Whether it's time to work or time to punch-out and play, Ram Care has your back with exclusive, no nonsense support and preferred access to VIP experiences at your dealership and Ram events nation-wide. On Call Exclusive 24/7 Ram Brand vehicle owner support (866-932-3878) Maintenance Oil Changes and Tire Rotations.
    How do I contact Ram?
    [​IMG]https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/article/How-do-I-contact-Ram
    866-726-4636 : Ram Customer Care PO Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills MI 48321-8004

7. WI4MM

WI4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

A Cummins diesel?
    Does it have a "Jake Brake " system you mentioned on decelerating ?
    Salt water or in a snow belt area with heavy road treatments ? Checked the ohms between the antenna mount bracket and frame. If not null, zero not a good ground path.

Also, check the factory grounds, loosen, clean, retighten, apply some good corrosion protection LPS, ect....

I have a Dodge Dakota. Installed 1/2 " copper tinned braid ground straps between hood in 2 locations to door hinge brackets. 4 corners of bed to frame, and froward and aft of the catilitic converter on to exhaust pipe to frame.

Use a Icom 706, z100 plus auto tuner, 102 " SS whip. 7 Meg thru 28 no issues at 50 watts + - .
    No direct grounding to negative post on battery, to firewall, or frame and use flat braided 1/2 " to 3/4" copper tinned braid on all grounds. Hope this helps... Mark.

K0UO likes this.
  8. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you ever find the culprit?

Ed

N0TZU likes this.
  9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Anti lock brakes or THE VOLTAGE "OP charging system" during acceleration put a big load on the charging system like the lights, seat heaters to manipulate the demand and check if the RFI changes.