2018 - what did Santa leave under YOUR tree?

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by VE7JBX, Dec 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll start!

Scout 555s.jpg
    …. Including all band modules except 160m and 12m! I must have been good this year :)

K0DD and W7CJD like this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have all the electronics I could possibly use. I was actually able to UNLOAD a lot of electronics over the past couple of weeks to make more room in my shop for fixing guitar amps and such. Wifey got me some new fancy shoes and sister and bro-in-law sent me some very puzzling puzzles. And we're having a prime rib dinner at the daughter's place later today. They wanted to be different.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a TenTec Scout. It's a neat little radio.
    No mode switch! Just start using the key!

W7CJD likes this.
  4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Vanna

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

An Inovonics 222 for my AM setup.

Pheel

K0DD and AD5HR like this.
  6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Diamond Original X50A 144/440 MHz Dual Band Base Antenna

..and Santa KE7QIP set it up on my portable military mast he attached to the rental house, he cleared with the rental house property manager.

VE7JBX likes this.
  7. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sadly nothing Radio, but enjoy this true story guys....

I had Craig home several days around Thanksgiving then from Christmas thru New Years with only one day he was requested to go in to help with inventory. This Holiday Shutdown has been happening the last several years... Then He says, I don't want to just sit around and be bored for that whole time. "Ah don't worry I'm not going to let you get bored..." :rolleyes: But then I relented and said, "Well lets go somewhere? I'm pretty sure somewhere isn't zero degrees outside and we could have some fun..." He flat poo-pooed a travel vacation as it spends money... I was thinking yeah I'll let this one go, there's plenty of projects around here. I'm a Homemaker you know...

Sooooo Black Friday became Blue Friday with "Something New and Blue to screw my call plates to!" While I was reading the New F-150's manual sitting in the driver's seat, He cleaned "The Beast" (2001 Durango) to ready him for sale. I listed it right away on Craigslist, but while washing it that afternoon apparently the Throttle Position Sensor didn't like the car wash joints engine DeGooper stuff and Flaked OUT. I was bummed as it was a good vehicle for somebody and I already had plans for the $$$$ funds... I sure didn't desire to pay somebody to repair it... Anyway... It got parked between the house and garage in the meantime.

With the Durango Dead out we moved on to the next project. We both slaved to rearrange the garage as a shoe horn is required to squeeze the truck in... and ran to the Ranch Store for some shovel and broom hooks and Craig saying it was too dark in the garage, I ran to Home Depot for some more LED fixtures and installed them...

Then after some light discussion about maybe we should get a dumpster this week? The First thing he saw when he came home from work was that dumpster and the tore up yard where the big Garbage Truck had spun all its tires getting back out over the boulevard. I had started by by tearing up the TOY ROOM carpet, which revealed sweet 120 year old quarter sawn white oak flooring... He hauled all the carpet pieces and pad to the dumpster... as the first two pieces about killed me dragging them out the front door on to the porch.

On a roll I moved ALL the furniture OR CUT around it as needed until he could move the way to heavy stuff... Over three days I finished by pulling up the living room and dining room carpet... He was a real Trooper hauling it all out to the dumpster... I vacuumed then swiffered all my hardwood, and we placed our furniture back in proper places.

Anticipating a near future house replumb, I had previously ordered up from the wholesaler a big box of Copper Fittings, Ball Valves, and a Hot Water Circ Pump... It takes a year and a half to get hot water from the utility room to the bath tub / shower upstairs.... I watched a couple Videos on YouTube and read a lot of White Sheets... Anyway, when the FedEx guy delivered the box Craig took that downstairs and put it on the utility room work bench. He probably figured out of sight out of mind right?

Hum.... now with NEW BLUE on the job it was time to get that $443 dollar box of plumbing parts 20 matching sticks of L copper at Home Depot so we could start the replumb... Updating an old Victorian for us means either Galvanized was going back in, or Copper... We chose Copper. While at HD I saw an area rug I thought might look pretty nice in one of the three big bare hardwood rooms. Craig went to get a big cart while I was looking at area rug pads when I turned around my rug was gone. I looked down the isle there he was with this 8x10 area rug on his shoulders almost the full length of the store walking away. When he got back with it on the cart. He said, "Maybe I should have left the rug here with you?" I state flatly I was wondering where you were going. I think once he picked it up he was walking back home to His Mother... But finally realized he had this big rug on his shoulder and it was getting kinda heavy. We had yet to pull the 1/2" and 3/4" copper.

I the meantime some guy from Craigslist offered low buck on the Durango and yanked us around a few days... B then he said he was going to show up with a TPS fix it here and drive it home (It's a five minute fix he said...) I wanted him to pay for the truck and not booger it up... Anyway He never showed but we sat here waiting for him so I was thinking what next????

I watched a couple videos on Youtube on changing out the TPS on the Dodges. Cool... I sent Craig bitching about spending money left and right to the local auto parts store with $50 bucks and when he got home we replaced it... 30 minutes later he was driving around town before dinner letting The Beast relearn how to run right again... Miracle Fix... It's still for sale BTW. He was no longer grumbling about the $50...

Still on Vacay, but LAST Friday he was supposed to go in for Inventory, we got up and there was a winter storm raging out. We couldn't see across the yard... A quick walk outside confirmed he was calling in a snow day...

That's OK I have a whole new collection of things to do on his Honey Do List.... I made a nice breakfast and we were going to relax a while... But before Craig could use his New "Saws All" to cut all the 120 year old galv pipe down, I figured we should pour the pad for the Washer, Dryer and Water Heater and get that done first.

Whenever my washer goes TILT it walks itself toward the floor drain. Later in the afternoon I go... Say the weather looks better out... We braved the storm and Four Wheeled "New Blue" (I wanted a Sporty SUV you know like that Cadillac XT4 on the commercials with the young ladies in sequins all having fun...) anyway we wheeled NEW BLUE "MY" new F-150 pickup through all the drifts to Radco Truck Equipment for a bed mat.

Straight from Radco on the coldest day of the year so far over to Lowe's for 14 Bags of concrete and some wire grid rebar stuff. We were going to get a wheelbarrow too but after freezing for 10 minutes outside without seeing the one the website had us going in for, we decided to borrow the one at his Mom's...

We moved MY washer, dryer, then built the forms in the workshop and installed... Saturday AM we drained and moved the darn electric 40 gal water heater...

All the doors frozen shut on the Durango we spent considerable time slicing the ice out of the door jams then I climbed over the console and backed him into the front yard. Then I backed the F-150 between the garage and house and Craig unloaded all that concrete and stuff down the walk out. After a short break He then mixed 12-1/2 of those sacks of concrete...

I sprayed water as he mixed and I did help shovel it into the 34"x 96" x 3-1/2" pad and trowel it all out... once done we moved the Heater back in place in front of the forms and Kluged it in...

I replaced the top heater element and will probably run and get one for the bottom yet today. The top one was corroded... Anyway, Maybe tonight or tomorrow the mud will be cured enough to put the washer and dryer back up so I can do the laundry at home this week.. We did squeeze in a trip to Sioux Center to use the laundromat there on NY Day...

I'm pretty sure there was another dozen things on my Honey Do list Craig managed to get done too.

Oh you said "Santa Left UNDER the tree?" I got several pair of Fuzzy Slipper Socks for walking on my hardwood floors, a Cast Iron Lodge Skillet da Bigun, which I wanted for a couple years... and an Ir Temp Gun so I know the temp of the skillet... It's awful tricky and easy to overheat with the big and small gas burners it sits across... A Belgian Waffle Maker because he liked the waffles at hotels we've stayed at... and a lifetime supply of Swiffer Wet Pads... I could barely lift the Costco Industrial Sized collection of those pads....

By yesterday Morning he gladly went back to work at the salt mine... For some well deserved rest... When he got home last night and plopped on the couch he turns to me and says, "Next Year we're going somewhere." I say, "OK"; while visualizing to myself Hawaii sounds really NICE...

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years.. ;) See ya'll portable KH6 next year.

8. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

This will only Hertz for a second.