ad: Bamatech-1

2018 State of Ham Radio Survey

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Mar 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD9AKK

KD9AKK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to check that in the new survey but I didn't want to be a jerk, lol.
  2. KD9AKK

Nintendo was out when I was a kid and I still got into radio and asked the neighbor what he was working on in his car. I think it has to do with the current schooling of the children, they are not introducing the kids to technical trades, no hands on stuff, just give them a Ipad is all the teachers do now...
    VE3EEI and KK5R like this.
  3. KD9AKK

KenYaesuWood is what I picked.
    KK5R likes this.
  4. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I would have picked YaeCom... But that's reflective of what I have as main rigs. Depending on what feature/s you like of any brand radio, there are people who like most of them for some personal reason or another or they'd not have been making radios for so many years.
    KD9AKK likes this.
  5. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

In essence, it's the teachers, for the most part, and the reason behind it is that the teachers are teaching what they were taught. This does not apply to every teacher, though — Thank Goodness!
    KD9AKK likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

This is as close as I get to "social media":D

After owning and/or operating all the major brands I still stick with Kenwood for cleaner signals and great RX and TX audio.

I had nothing but problems with Ten Tec in the past and I'll never own another.

The KX3 Ive had on loan since late December does not impress me on SSB in particular and receive audio is harsh on any mode no matter what options I try.

7. WN4V

WN4V Ham Member QRZ Page

This "older" ham (70) embraces advancing digital technologies in amateur radio with acceptance and approval. One reason I allowed my local club membership to lapse several years ago was the often heard "It's not real radio...." when I would mention the word "Echolink". It seemed to me that to be a "Ham" one had to possess a shack full of hf gear complete with an obligatory linear amp. Licensed in 1961 and still having the time of my life in Amateur Radio.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2018 at 9:49 PM
    KK5R likes this.
  8. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen! Adapt, or watch the hobby die off from intolerance and lack of innovation. Fortunately, in spite of the curmudgeons, there's enough interest in seeing the hobby evolve.
  9. KW5M

KW5M Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are going to use our information and/or opinions, you should allow us to print or pdf these results. Your surveys might actually make a difference in amateur radio. If you are just doing it for fun or personal gain then i do not have much personal respect for you.
  10. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

A useful survey might be one that limited the questions to seniors and/or to those who anticipate being "curmudgeons" and active hams with digital and more advanced amateur activity in their future. While many may still appreciate 160AM and other more traditional means of communication, even these hams have among them those who "dabble" in or use extensively more modern means of communication. Some of them can be heard bragging how they have contacted places using FT8 and other modes that they have never used before. A mix of old and new is the wave of the future, I believe. It's part of the growth evolution of the art.
    W4RAV and K3XR like this.