ad: SDRKits-1

2018 SDR Receiver options with comparisons

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KE8KDU, Nov 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE8KDU

KE8KDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking to pick up an SDR rx to plug and play with the IC-7300 I just ordered. I see there are a significant amount of receiver options out there. Are there any current sites that offer a good comparison. From what I've seen, I like the SDRplay and Airspy HF+. Any others I should consider in the same general price range?

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

since my only experience is with the SDRplay, I can't offer any good comparisons. I do see where the SDRplay folks have a lot of info related to using their products as a panadpter. From experience, I know the guys there are very helpful.

KE8KDU likes this.
  3. KE8KDU

Thx for input. I would imagine a lot more sdrplay units are sold as opposed to other types so there's probably more support and software choices. Would be nice to see something like Sherwood test data on the different offerings.

4. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the HF+ pretty much lives up to its hype, and the software available for the Airspy line is pretty good. Spyserver by default, does not transmit the entire IQ passband but only sends the relevant sample slice IQ data and its FFT so you can use it on networks with limited bandwidth.

Receiver noise is noticeably lower, and it is far more sensitive than my RSP1. However, by the same measure is subject to overload and I do not like using it with SDR Console.

KE8KDU likes this.
  5. KE8KDU

Thx for input. I thought HF+ looked good but was looking for additional information.