2018 Ford F350 diesel and HF ?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by K0YLW, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0YLW

K0YLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to put an HF setup in my new truck.
    Anyone have any imput .
    How is the electrical noise from the truck engine .
    I had a TS480 IN my gas Ford truck and it had about an s5 noise level .
    I miss having the radio in the truck to pass time .I spend about 7-10 hours a day in the truck .

I would like to put my motorized antenna back to work.

Jeff K∅YLW

2. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Shouldn't be an issue. The diesel has no ignition system to cause RFI and the injectors are powered by oil pressure. I have a dual band uhf / vhf setup in my 2005 F 350 diesel with absolutely no noise. I've used a portable HF receiver and it doesn't have any noise. Only problem might be if the alternator is faulty or there is a bad ground from engine to chassis (not likely).

I suggest a screwdriver antenna. I have one on my travel trailer and it works fine on all bands, 80 through 6 meters (Ameritron SDA 100).

ENJOY, but don't get distracted.

3. KN4XJ

KN4XJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jeff I run hf using a 590s and Diamond whips from a Ford SD. Had a 2014 Powerstroke and operated hf digital easily with no noise issues. Have yet to do so in the 2018 350 PS. I'd like to hear abut your HF in the SD experience.

Frank

Attached Files:

4. K0YLW

K0YLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I will let you know how it works out. I am going to do a temporary install to chech on the noise level from the truck .

5. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

My worst problem running HF in Diesel pickups is RF getting back into the computer systems and causing problems in the truck including the automatic braking systems. Grand the heck out of everything tailpipes hoods beds cabs everything you can think of. Also a lot of modern trucks have sensors on the negative side of the battery check that out before you determine where the ground at