ad: Retevis-1

2018 ARRL Grid Square Confusion

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N3MLB, Nov 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N3MLB

N3MLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the December 2017 QST issue, I read about the 2018 Grid Square year long contest. As with Field Day rules, ARRL contradicts itself in their rules. Per their website, it states any contact will count, even without exchange of a grid square exchange. Then later they state an exchange WILL include a grid square.

• Any contact can count for your Chase score; it doesn't have to involve an exchange of grid squares. As long as other operators participate with Logbook of The World, you'll get the credit automatically when they upload their logs
    • Exchange: Call Sign and Maidenhead 4-digit grid-square locator (see www.arrl.org/grid-squares). Exchange of signal report is optional. When operating during a contest, the contest exchange takes precedence over the grid square exchange.
    Who the heck is proof reading these publications? No wonder I got so many emails about my 1B FD operations. These rules are left to interpretation.

So.... For the contest I can continue to upload my logs to LotW, put no special effort into it and get credit. That's how I read it.

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, your understanding is correct. If both stations upload the log to LOTW, then you will get credit for the grid square that the other guy uploaded, and vice versa.

If you are actively chasing grids, then it stands to reason that you should tell the other person what your grid is. So that is the exchange. But if either of you fail to give it over the air, you'll still get credit, as long as it is uploaded.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I really liked the ARRL "Parks on the Air" program. I actively worked the other participants.

This thing is a "non-contest", contest.

Just operate normally,....... no extra effort required, ........check your standings at the end of the month, and see where you are ranked.............................. NOT!

I am not "anti" ARRL at all, but,..... this one hasn't been thought out very well.

Oh,.... and the decision to NOT allow 60 meter contacts is just plain stupid. Perhaps the powers that be @ the ARRL should tune to Ch 3 and listen.

N3MLB likes this.