ad: LZQSLprint-1

2017 Route 66 On The Air 9/9 to 9/17, 2017

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by W6CJL, Sep 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6CJL

W6CJL Ham Member QRZ Page

ROUTE 66 ON THE AIR SPECIAL EVENT for 2017

ROUTE 66 ON THE AIR SPECIAL EVENT for 2017

September 9, through Sunday September 17, (GMT)

Route 66 On The Air website with all the details:

http://w6jbt.org/?page_id=15
    ______________________________________________________________________ View attachment 398495
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Background on “The Mother Road”
    U.S. Highway 66 was established in 1926, was the first major improvement to link the west coast with the nations heartland.

Through stories, songs and TV shows, the highway came to symbolize the spirit of the freedom of the open road, inspiring many to see America.

However, the demise of Route 66 began in the 1950’s as the U.S. began it’s interstate highway system, and the highway was officially decommissioned in 1986.

Today, small portions of the U.S. Highway 66 still exist in towns and rural areas in several states.

Background on Route 66 On The Air Special Event
    This year marks the 18th year of this great radio event. Originally started by the Northern Arizona DX Association, it was a way to allow amateur radio operators a fun way to “Relive the Ride.”

They also can relive their own memories of Route 66, and get to celebrate the highway’s rich history in making the U.S. what it is today.

Citrus Belt Amateur Radio Club (CBARC) in San Bernardino, CA took over the event a couple years later and has grown into one of the best special amateur radio events each year.

Amateur radio clubs using special 1x1 call signs operate from cities on or near the route from coast to coast.

Hundreds of operators worldwide aim to contact as many radio operators as possible who would like to take part in this annual event.

WA6MHZ, AG5LZ and W6NYA like this.
  2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't wait for this to begin. This is the premier operation event of the year!!!

3. W6NYA

W6NYA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One More Day to wait!

K9ASE likes this.
  4. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hopefully I can get Joliet this year

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I need a Burma Shave sign.

N5OCO likes this.
  6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

burmashaveposters.jpg

W7LZN likes this.
  7. WA6MHZ

I came home to completely DEAD bands. The Solar FLare has wiped out the contest for today. 20 is BONE DEAD!!!

8. W6NYA

Looks like the bands will be challenging to start with today---
    W6C is on 14.240

9. W6NYA

Contacts made with Fla, WV, NC, Ohio, Alaska in last half hour as W6C
    But the band is ugly right now.

10. WA6MHZ

I want to get a ROUTE 80 Special event organized similar to this. I am willing to coordinate it all. Route 80 goes from San Diego to Savannah, GA. so this is truly a COAST TO COAST road.
    US80map.gif
    I volunteer to be the operator for the W8E station in EL CAJON. Crest is just a mile or so off of ROUTE 80

11. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be a great event Pat... U.S. 80 is second only to Route 66 in historical significance.

U.S. route 80 was actually commissioned before Route 66 in 1926. (Route 66 was commissioned in November of 1926)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_80

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  12. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Google the "Lincoln Highway", old U.S. #30.
    I think it was started in 1913, and went 3400 Miles or so from the East coast to West.
    Grew up a couple miles from the "Seedling Mile" the first mile of paved road on
    the stretch.
    In the mid to late Fifties we would drive on the original red brick pavers.
    Any activation of a historic highway should be celebrated, good luck to ALL
    the route 66'ers

W5BIB likes this.
  13. W6NYA

The bands were much better today! Plenty of activity for the Route 66 Event!

14. N7BLA

N7BLA Ham Member QRZ Page

screamed and hollowered last night all the stations were 20+i guess i could not talk across the styreet

15. WA6MHZ

I knocked out 8 stations until a massive solar flare hit again this morning!!! No no Route 66 today, maybe will recover tonight