2016 NIssan Rogue Mobile HF

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NA1SA, Mar 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NA1SA

NA1SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking to install a Yaesu FT-857 in my Nissan Rogue, primarily for 40 meter use. One antenna option I was looking at is the MFJ-2340T and either the magnet mount (MFJ-335BT) or the hatch/trunk lid mount (MFJ-345T). Does anyone have experience with this MFJ antenna, and/or mounting an HF antenna to a Nissan Rogue without drilling holes in the body? Any recommendations on other mounts/antennas appreciated

Also, one other problem I ran into, is just how do you get a power wire through the firewall on these vehicles? Trying to find a hole, or a way to get a hole/wire through the firewall is very frustrating.

Thanks

2. KJ4VZJ

KJ4VZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2020 Rogue. I'm curious about where you will be placing the radio and/or control head. My FT-857D is currently in my F-150 truck. I have an ATAS-120A on a bed stake mount.
    Most people will discourage you from using the mag mount for HF operations. The hatch mount may work better but I don't know your garage situation and if you will be operating mobile or only when parked. Good luck. R

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine has the Rogue, so I am very familiar with it. I have its little brother, the Nissan Note.

This is a nut I have yet to crack since obtaining this car. (I keep telling myself that mobile HF is pointless right now anyway with a dead sun:)).

I can share what will not work:

1) A mag mount. I own 75m, 40m, 20m, and 6m hamsticks like the MFJ you reference. I tried it with a gigantic three-magnet mount that I borrowed. After sticking it on, I climbed a ladder to try and move the antenna from the top. Very little effort cause the thing to come unstuck. The antenna is so long that the leverage is just too great.

2) A lip mount. Because of that leverage thing, you need a good sized lip mount. The shape of the rear hatch is curved all the way across (looks flat in the middle, but it is not), meaning that a sufficiently-sized lip mount will not fit. The only place a lip mount will fit is vertically on the back rear edge of the rear door. This could work if you never wanted to open that door; but over time it is likely that the antenna would flex that part of door, potentially allowing ingress of rain water.

3) An nmo mount. This really goes without saying.

What I settled upon doing one day is obtaining one of the these giant Breedlove Mounts and putting it pretty much in the spot pictured. This isn't cheap, but it seems to be the ticket.

Good luck.

KJ4VZJ likes this.
  4. K5XOM

K5XOM Ham Member QRZ Page

I took me awhile to figure out how I was going to mount the ATAS-120A on my pickup that has a fiberglass bed cover on it. I accidentally found the Breed Love site. They had just the mount that I needed. The bed cover can be lifted up without interfering with the antenna. I have had the antenna mounted for about 3 years now. I have never had a water problem like others claim to have with their ATAS-120A antenna.

5. N5PNZ

N5PNZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have a hitch on the vehicle? If so, I would opt for the MFJ 1640T and mount it on the hitch. I use the 1640 on my pick up with a home made stake pocket mount. I get okay performance with the 1640 with the use of an auto tuner. It does have a less than 2-1 swr on a part of the band that I tune it for The much shorter 2340 would almost be a single frequency tune though you can use a tuner to get more.

I assume that if it has a roof rack that it is a non-metallic one so wouldn't be useful for an antenna

Power cable through the firewall? If it has a plastic plug where the clutch pedal would normally mount I would drill a small hole through the plastic for the single power + wire to pass though. Ground wire should go from radio to dash frame inside the car, not to the battery. From the pics I found you would have to remove some of the intake ducting in order to access any part of the firewall under the hood. Then I don't know if there would be enough room for anything larger than a "dremel" drill to drill the hole.

Good luck with it. I find that 40 meters on the road is fun. 75 meters is very challenging even with the 7 foot MFJ 1675t. I can be heard, but only when the big guns are silent or not quick keying. Some day, hopefully, I'll be able to afford a decent screw driver type antenna.

6. KN4EHX

KN4EHX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey friends,

I have a 2020 Nissan Rogue. Installing and mounting radios in the Rogue is not an easy task the design isn’t exactly radio friendly.

No HF in my Rogue so I can’t comment on what will work best, but I can give some insight to how to how I managed to install my radios.

I did have to drill a hole through the firewall. I used 4 ga wire and ran it direcly from the battery to the back of the vehicle removing the plastic panels along the way and fastened them back as I went (they pop off without much fuss). At the back of the rogue I put in a RIGrunner just to save myself from ever having to play with wiring again (Anderson Pawrrr Poes - southern accent). I separated the control heads from my radios and also use a hand held control head. I used the super sticky industrial Velcro to attach mic hangers near the gear shift - it gets hot in East Tennessee but I haven’t had any issues with it coming off.

To mount the control heads I used a Lido Seat Mount. I think it is something like 19” tall so it is about the right height that its at a comfortable level. I haven’t had any vibration issues and it is rather solid, but if you passenger decides to whack it both will survive and you can just move it back to wherever you like. Getting the seat bolt loose to install the mount was probably the most challenging task; I did have to grind a bit off the mount to make it fit the track. Lots of cup holders in the Rogues so again Lido can be your friend for mic mounting options, but I had mic hangers and Velcro.

Word to the wise: the spare tire space seems like a great place to plant radios, but there is absolutely no ventilation there and even if you pull off the cover you’ll still have heat issues. Build a shelf or something to fit into the grooves made to create a storage space with the “trunk” or whatever Nissan calls it. Secure it and enjoy life.

I do use mag mounts. I have an antenna farm and I can’t seem to bring myself to drill that many holes in a new vehicle I plan to eventually trade. East Tennessee has lots of low hanging branches after it rains; I exploded a coil on a 6 meter antenna after whacking a low hanging branch at about 40 mph. No mas 6 meters! Be thoughtful of antenna height. I’m a big fan of 5/8 wave VHF antennas, but eventually I went 1/4 wave for that very reason. Using Larsen antennas if that is relevant. If one ever gets knocked over it will wake you up.

best wishes to all,
    Nate
    KN4EHX