ad: hrd-2

2016 NIssan Rogue Mobile HF

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by NA1SA, Mar 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NA1SA

NA1SA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking to install a Yaesu FT-857 in my Nissan Rogue, primarily for 40 meter use. One antenna option I was looking at is the MFJ-2340T and either the magnet mount (MFJ-335BT) or the hatch/trunk lid mount (MFJ-345T). Does anyone have experience with this MFJ antenna, and/or mounting an HF antenna to a Nissan Rogue without drilling holes in the body? Any recommendations on other mounts/antennas appreciated

Also, one other problem I ran into, is just how do you get a power wire through the firewall on these vehicles? Trying to find a hole, or a way to get a hole/wire through the firewall is very frustrating.

Thanks

2. KJ4VZJ

KJ4VZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a 2020 Rogue. I'm curious about where you will be placing the radio and/or control head. My FT-857D is currently in my F-150 truck. I have an ATAS-120A on a bed stake mount.
    Most people will discourage you from using the mag mount for HF operations. The hatch mount may work better but I don't know your garage situation and if you will be operating mobile or only when parked. Good luck. R

3. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A friend of mine has the Rogue, so I am very familiar with it. I have its little brother, the Nissan Note.

This is a nut I have yet to crack since obtaining this car. (I keep telling myself that mobile HF is pointless right now anyway with a dead sun:)).

I can share what will not work:

1) A mag mount. I own 75m, 40m, 20m, and 6m hamsticks like the MFJ you reference. I tried it with a gigantic three-magnet mount that I borrowed. After sticking it on, I climbed a ladder to try and move the antenna from the top. Very little effort cause the thing to come unstuck. The antenna is so long that the leverage is just too great.

2) A lip mount. Because of that leverage thing, you need a good sized lip mount. The shape of the rear hatch is curved all the way across (looks flat in the middle, but it is not), meaning that a sufficiently-sized lip mount will not fit. The only place a lip mount will fit is vertically on the back rear edge of the rear door. This could work if you never wanted to open that door; but over time it is likely that the antenna would flex that part of door, potentially allowing ingress of rain water.

3) An nmo mount. This really goes without saying.

What I settled upon doing one day is obtaining one of the these giant Breedlove Mounts and putting it pretty much in the spot pictured. This isn't cheap, but it seems to be the ticket.

Good luck.

KJ4VZJ likes this.