2016 F-350 diesel and HF

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N7IBC, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not a newby to HF mobile Ops.
    I have had a mobile HF rig in every vehicle I have owned for 40 years, "however"--

I bought a 2016 F-350 long bed Platinum in July 2019.
    I had no issue wiring in the Yeasu FT-400XDR which works fine.

But now I want to swap the Kenwood TS-480HX from my gas powered F-250 to the newer truck.

Does anyone run a larger HF radio in their F-350 trucks and if so,-----where did you run the power cables, (41A required) , and to which bettery?
    I also run a Hi-Q manual tune antenna.

Where if anyone, did you all mount the antenna?
    I want to mount it on the front bumper, but am unsure where to run the A): Power cable, and B):
    antenna line due to the restricted space in the engine compartment.

My call sign is good in QRZ.
    E-mail with a response if you can, thanks!

Thanks,
    N7IBC-Larry
    McCall, Id.

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Etiquette tip: QRZed is a public forum for the sharing of ideas. Taking replies to personal email goes against the entire idea of a forum. bill

p.s. Have you read Alan's website on everything mobile? www.K0BG.com
    You will find many great ideas and information!

K0UO likes this.
  3. NG1H

NG1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Google is your friend. "2016 super duty firewall wire access" has all sorts of links and videos showing you where to route cables. As to the antenna mounting location you are going to have to do your own research. Any choice is going to have material negatives. Front is as bad/good a place as any. There's all sorts of room to run the cable. If you get to close to the exhaust, radiator or engine you might want to consider some sort of heat shield. If you mount the antenna on the left you will lower the chance of hitting trees overhanging the road but you might not like having it in the center of your vision all of the time. In my Excursion I ran the positive power to the left battery since I was going through the firewall on the left hand side.

K0UO likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Go to Alan's site. K0BG com, it's the fourth most used amateur radio site and has all the info about mobile installs, where to hook up battery connections and the like.
    On diesel Chevy and CMCs pickups, both batteries are parallel and there is no isolation devices so you can hook to either one of them be careful where you hook your ground because of the sensor, do not hook up directly to the battery read his website about this. I'm not sure about the Ford, I'll try to check my son has a 350.
    Buy a lot of ground strap and plan on spending a day grounding tail pipe, hood, doors, bed, cabs everything and more.
    Don't be surprised if your HF rig gets into some of the vehicle's systems, If so then start working on isolating the problem. ABS braking systems are a big problem now.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  5. KN4XJ

KN4XJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I operate HF using a 590s at 100w from my 2018 F350 6.7. It is electrically noisier than my previous 2014 but not so much that I have spent any time trying to isolate the noise makers. I use Diamond HF##CL monobanders for 20, 40, 80. Antenna mount is attached to an aluminum angle bracket through bolted in the front left of the bed. I ran 12 gauge Ancor Marine power cable directly to the front left battery. I have not experienced and rfi issues.

6. N7IBC

N7IBC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies everyone.

K0UO likes this.