2015 Ram pickup truck 3500 diesel with quad band HV7A Diamond antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KC1JXI, Jun 30, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC1JXI

KC1JXI Ham Member QRZ Page

This antenna is mounted on my back rack light bar behind the cab on the drivers side of truck. On 2 meters my swr is 1.5 with the frequency set at 144.5 Mhz. Swr is 2.0 at 148 Mhz. This is the best I can get here. On the 6 meters band while set at 50.150 the swr is 2.0. While set at 54.000 mhz swr is 1.5, best I can get. On 10 meters while set at 28.000 mhz the swr is 5.0. On 29.700 the swr is 5.0. Would this be a ground issue or what else would it be ?? I have not added in any ground straps yet. Thought I would run it by all the experts out there on this subject. From the newbie HAM
    KC1XJI. Thanks Roger

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of antenna?

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it behind & below the cab, or above it?:confused:

4. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

your 'back rack light bar'..., is it mounted atop the plastic bedside caps?... don't forget the two parts of an antenna.

5. KC1JXI

It is mounted almost flush with the side of the truck drivers side, just behind the cab. Only about 6 inches of the antenna is below cab height.
    Diamond HV7A Quad band

6. KC1JXI

7. KC1JXI

Yes it is. But it is showing it's grounded

8. KC1JXI

Diamond HV7A quad band

9. N5AVF

N5AVF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That 6" may be part of your problem and being lower and adjacent to the rack.

If at all possible, I would relocate the antenna to the center of the rack where I have annotated the red arrow on your photo, and try again.

IMG_0955.jpg

10. KC1JXI

Thank you N5AVF that makes sense. I will try to relocate it. I may have enough spare coax also. Roger KC1XJI