ad: elecraft

2010 DXCC Most wanted survey now OPEN!!!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6HZ, Dec 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

More data

John,

Since the survey is running now it's a little late, but you could have collected more data on respondents, such as power level or antenna, modes operated, or number of years chasing DX, and correlated that data with entities needed. Perhaps that is too much for your class--you'd need a multivariate analysis to make sense of so much information, and I'm not sure how you'd quantify some of it, but it's somethig to think about if you ever go further in such a study.

Showing the "most wanted" will be fun, but there is much more still possible with the data you'll have. One other thing I will mention is that a continent is an awfully large area to work with; personally I would have collected home QTHs and looked for correlations there. But at this point you can present your results by mapping out entities worked versus continents. This will at least show correlations for the highest number of entities worked per respondent area. If you get enough data it would be interesting to anchor down the relative frequencies of geographic areas worked by respondents' regions...at least of QRZ readers!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. N6HPX

N6HPX Guest

dxcc thoughts and QSL'S

Thanks for the info on this and I like the concepts, I worked a few african stations years ago, 1 from Nigeria but the station refuse to QSL with me, so hopefully can work more of those stations and get some QSL.

3. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

SOme interesting ones...

Not in any particular order...

P5
    BS9 (Pratus)
    KP1 Navassa
    1S (Spratley)
    FT5 (Glorioso/Amsterdam/Crozet, Kergulen/Europa) Forgive my spelling
    FO0 (Clipperton)
    A5 (Bhutan)

Mainly, interesting ones, but I am sure, needed by a few.
    I am also talking, operating low band and multi modes.

4. K1LWI

K1LWI Ham Member QRZ Page

I DID IT ONLY NEED A FEW NOW. REAL HAM KNOW CW ONLY WAY TO FOR DXING HI :)

5. AA1VX

AA1VX Ham Member QRZ Page

Where's Spratly?

I need Spratly, but it's not on the list.

Dave AA1VX

6. N6HPX

N6HPX Guest

I wonder whats up with qsl's

Been going through my logs from 1999 to present and from 1999 to 2003 I worked over 2300 but only received half the cards, I found out through all that there is a DXCC for 103 countries but only 75 confirmed wonder why..also noticed half my japanese qso of 500 on 6meters some arent registered in Hamnet..

7. VK6HZ

VK6HZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some interesting comments. I was going to add mode and band as well, but didnt have time to get it working!

Next year...

So far P5 is a clear winner! I will endevour to put up some preliminary results over the coming weeks as other trends (apart from P5) start to appear!

This is also useful info planning a DXPedition. I group here in VK6 are starting to plan a few DXPeditions over the next 2 years. First trip will be an IOTA activation (Possibly Rottnest Is OC-164) in July this year with a second trip to one of the VK9 islands being talked about for the second half of 2010.

The IOTA activation will be 4 or 5 operators for the IOTA contest. The VK9 trip is slowly coming together, but details will be annouced sometime in 2010.

Thanks for you participation....hope to hear you on the air (please and NA...as I am working hard on my tripple play - NA from VK6 is very hard!!)

Thanks,
    John
    de vk6hz

8. VK6HZ

VK6HZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Preliminary stats....and the URL if you havent yet supplied your responses!!

So here is some preliminary figures of the Wanted DXCC survery:

Number of respondants: 286
    NA: 192
    SA: 6
    AF: 3
    AS: 9
    EU: 70
    OC: 31
    AN: 2

Top 10 most wanted:
    World:
    1. P5 - DPR of Korea
    2. 7O - Yemen
    3. 3Y - Bouvet Island
    4. ZS8 - Prince Edward & Marion Islands
    5. KP1 - Navassa Island
    6. VP8/S - South Sandwich Islands
    7. BS7 - Scarborough Reef
    8. FT5/Z - Amsterdam & St. Paul Island
    9. FT5/W - Crozet Island
    10. FR/J - Juan de Nova, Europa

North American top 10:
    1. P5 - DPR of Korea
    2. 7O - Yemen
    3. BS7 - Scarborough Reef
    4. VU4 - Andaman & Nicobar Islands
    5. FT5/W - Crozet Island
    6. 3Y - Bouvet Island
    7. BV9P - Pratas Isl.
    8. E3 - Eritrea
    9. SV/A - Mount Athos
    10. YA - Afghanistan

European top 10:
    1. KP1 - Navassa Island
    2. P5 - DPR of Korea
    3. ZS8 - Prince Edward & Marion Islands
    4. 3Y - Bouvet Island
    5. KH5 - Palmyra, Jarvis Islands
    6. KH5/K - Kingman Reef
    7. FT5/Z - Amsterdam & St. Paul Island
    8. KH9 - Wake Island
    9. ZL9 - Auckland & Campbell Islands
    10. VP8/O - South Orkney Islands

If you havent added your responses yet, please do so by going to http://dxsurvey.vk6hz.com

Please pass this URL onto any Amateur Operators around the globe and encourage them to participate!

See you on the bands....I seem to be active 8 hours a day at the moment!

John
    de vk6hz:)

Happy reading!

9. N9YB

N9YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To address the original question:

P5
    7O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.