2007 ACCORD MOBILE INSTALL

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE4MMC, Mar 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
  1. KE4MMC

KE4MMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't find a hole thru firewall that'll let me run power cord from battery.
    anyone else out there have an accord and find a way thru? Never had this problem with other vehicles
    but this one is giving me trouble.
    any help appreciated.
    thanks,
    KE4MMC

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

In approximately in the center of the firewall, just under the windshield cowl, is a plugged hole. It is small, but a pair of # 10s will fit. Unfortunately, Honda stopped providing access via this hole in 2010. They now use an extra teat on the main wiring harness, which in some cases is nearly impossible to get to.

3. KE4MMC

Found the plug,( i think) popped it out, pushed a stiff wire thru... goes into console area or into air duct system, not sure.
    Hit something solid. I looked under driver side dash and console area and saw no evidence of wire coming thru. I think
    its up behind center console and not accessible..? might have to make a NEW hole.. Any ideas.? Surely someone drives
    an Accord and has successfully run power from battery.

4. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As I said it isn't easy.

There is another way you can go besides drilling a hole, but it too has issues. On most vehicles, you can fish wire down into the channel between the body, and the fender. On Hondas, there is a plastic plug which covers a hole, about 20 mm in diameter. However, the wire must be "snaked" correctly to avoid the hinges and door flange when the door is open. Split loom works well for this protection.

All of the points out, how difficult it can be on some vehicles to route power to the interior. This fact is the main cause for folks using workarounds (lighter sockets), when they should know better.

5. N4JRI

N4JRI Ham Member QRZ Page

I never had a problem in the past, but my front-wheel-drive minivan was a major pain. On the advice of local hams with similar vehicles, I talked to a reputable stereo shop. The kind who install high-power woofers in your trunk are in tune with the need to be well-grounded, avoid voltage drops, and keep wires protected. Just make sure it's a reputable shop.

BTW, I let my mechanic talk me into giving him the job, but I don't advise it. It ended up costing more than I would've spent at the stereo place, and while the cable run was good, I had to go back and do some other things myself.

73/Allen (N4JRI)

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

On every car I've ever owned, the best place to run a wire from the engine bay to the interior is behind the Glove Box.

On most cars the Glove Box removes very easily (not even any screws) to gain access to the Engine ECU.

I normally just drill a small hole slightly bigger than the thick cable I am running for the Positive feed, and then wind several layers of PVC tape around it where it goes through the hole, just to provide extra protection against chafing.

Make sure the line fuse is near the battery.

I always run a short Negative lead from the rig to the nearest chassis point (never back to the battery, and always remove the negative rail fuse)

Roger G3YRO

7. KE4MMC

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input. Still working on it and as soon as weather permits, i'll be back under the hood!
    73's KE4MMC

8. NX1G

NX1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Take it to a good car stereo installer like I did and he ran it right under my dash on the left side of the engine compartment facing the windshield from the drivers seat! Took him about 2 minutes! It is worth it! I knew the guy who did mine but it’s like a 10 to 15 dollar job! DO NOT DRILL ANY HOLES ON YOUR 2007 HONDA ACCORD unless you want to cause some serious damage! Saw where someone recommended the plug in the center of the engine bay! Not a good choice! You can do a YouTube search about running 8 and 10 gauge power cables to an amp in our 2007 Accords and it shows where to snake your power cable through!

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Alan Applegate, K0BG has provide accurate answers on your 2007 Honda Accord ....
    use your EYES to find those Cable pathways ...
    IF beyond your ability, Honda Service Techs can help.

I still own a 2007 Acura LX (Acura LX used Honda Accord shell, in 2007) ...

10. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Trying to find where a wire comes into the cabin can be difficult. You will probably need to remove panels & or the stereo. That way, you will find the entrance.
    It is much better to disassemble some of the car, to get proper routing.
    If you happen to drill, go to Harbour Freight (Or the like) & get some cheap step bits (3 for under $10).
    Go to the auto supply store & in the "Help" section, "Dorman" makes an assortment of different seals to PROPERLY insulate the wire from the sheetmetal & keep any fumes from the cabin.

Just taping the wire through the hole is NOT a safe option.
    Check out www.K0BG.com for proper methods of wiring. It may give you inspiration, that saves persperation.

Ed