ad: Radclub22-1

2000-mile off-road trip - would love to work as many others (CW) as possible

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by AE5X, Aug 27, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

19 Sep - 4 Oct

The Trans-America Trail extends from Tennessee to Oregon and was developed as a way to cross the country via motorcycle on logging roads, trails and other non-pavement (a)venues.

I will be riding the first half of this trail solo, camping at night and operating QRP on 20 and 40 meter CW (possibly 30m as well).

Would love to work as many hams as possible and will provide a photo QSL for each contact once I return home.

More details on website:
    https://tatqrp.wordpress.com

NE2X, W5BIB and KG7E like this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW!!! Will you be able to post from along the way ??
    Keep a journal of your journey,... It would make for interesting reading for a large segment of hams & off-road folks !!

Steve

p.s., make sure to list your frequencies.

3. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Steve,

Thanks to smart phone technology I do plan on being able to post along the way. My blog (link above) format favors photos as opposed to text and will be updated throughout the ride with the changing scenery as well as comments on the radio aspect of things. But it will mostly be a "photos with captions" format.

Whenever I do get on the air in the evenings I will start out on 14.060 with 7030 being a second choice if 20m doesn't work out. I've been testing the antenna for a few weeks now and have had no problem working DX with it hanging in the trees similar to how it will be installed at my campsites.

And I will definitely keep a journal of the trip! Just to be clear, this trip will only be the first half of the Trail from TN to roughly Trinidad, CO - the official halfway point. Next July will be from CO to Oregon.

Hope to work you,

John AE5X

W5BIB likes this.
  4. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck with the trip. Sounds like a fun adventure!

5. AE5X

AE5X Ham Member QRZ Page

It was quite fun. Here's the write-up:
    https://tatqrp.wordpress.com/

I'm looking forward to the 2nd half of the ride (CO to OR) in July or August 2016.

John AE5X

6. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks John... What a trip !!! I watched it all & envy you:)

Steve

7. KN4OK

KN4OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

wow great John, sure wish we could join you. I travel a lot on my bike but would love to do a road trip like that!

Ride safe bro,

Dave