20 WPM by March 1... or die trying!

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KK4NSF, Jan 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

So my goal was 20 wpm, solid head copy and sending by the end of the winter. How did I do? Well since today is the first day of spring that must mean winter has ended. Im close........ I can copy 20 wpm if its good code, and I can send at 20 respectfully. I do not feel I have made it yet however. I can still struggle with marginal code OR lots of transitions letters to numbers and back unless repeated. SO, its 20 wpm by the end of spring! 73 Rich

N1OOQ likes this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was up to 1WPM by March 20. :)

3. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

You are expecting far, far too much of yourself too soon. Good morse is easier to read than bad morse and morse with or without QRM/QRM. If you didn't learn to read numbers/letters together then that too will be hard(er). What you describe is the same for most people when they start listening to real morse as its sent & heard on the air with QSA.QRM/QRN. You will get used to it and you will get better.

You may of course find it a little more useful if you use a pen and paper to copy down the letters/numbers you didn't miss - that way you may be able to guess the missing letters and thus the word.

W9RAC likes this.
  4. W9RAC

Well you may not have realized that when I started my goal I was at 16 wpm already, so I was trying to add 4 wpm and head copy. But as it turns out you are correct anyway, since I did miss the goal. Ill keep on track and work on the numbers a bit more. Only a couple of numbers, 2/3 and 7/8 I have a issue with instant recognition between them so yes those need work. I'm using a pen/pade now to make notes but can generally copy most in my head. At slower speeds of around 17 I am 100 percent most of the time with it all. Sometimes Ill have to look a the notepad and Ill see a word I have written down but did not recognize it mentally. Thankfully no test this time so at least I can be on air having fun also. Thanks for tips, 73 Rich

M6GYU likes this.
  5. W9RAC

Well if you started a ZERO then you have already doubled your speed, Id say thats pretty respectable. 73, Rich

KJ4VTH likes this.
  6. KJ6TAR

KJ6TAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on the progress! It seems like you met the base condition of your goal and now you are modifying based on your progress. I wish I was doing as well!

I can only copy code sent at optimum speed (between 10-15 wpm) with some extra space between characters. As soon as the code is too slow I revert to counting dits and dahs. If there is no space between the characters my brain lags. I am still aiming for a QSO by July.

W9RAC likes this.
  7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I alluded to this earlier in the thread, but nothing builds speed on CW like operating CW.

My speed had deteriorated a little, but an enforced idleness has seen me on the air more than usual lately, and my speed popped right back up, and is still improving.

W9RAC likes this.
  8. W9RAC

Im on a couple of hours a day, sometimes I even throw in a bit of computer cw listening at 21 wpm in addition. I may get to a solid 20/21 but that will be my max. I have a available neuron shortage at 68. But I am having a great time QSO on CW for sure. 73, Rich

9. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

did you ever make it to 20? 15?

10. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm right at the edge. 15wpm is easy now.... and I can get 80% at 20. BUT there is still some work to do. 25 still seems doable, but not by April 1. Thanks for asking