20 meter hamstick for 17 meters

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by W8WFD, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8WFD

W8WFD Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,
    I have two 20 meter ham sticks. I’d like to find out if one of the stingers could be cut to use one stick on 17 meters? I drive semi and would like to be able to use 17 while on the road.

Thanks in advance!

2. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

You could carefully unwrap a few turns until it resonates on 17m.

3. W8WFD

I also have a 10 meter stick. Would it be better to try this one?

4. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you would have to add windings to the 10M stick.

5. W8WFD

Correct me if I’m wrong, but with the stingers I would think it possible to tune one of these sticks to 17m. Just have these sitting in my garage and would like to put them to use. Thanks

6. WA9UAA

WA9UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC there is some danger of a problem when inserting the stinger too far into the coil on the antenna. 17M is higher in frequency so the antenna would need to be shorter. Heating and the like, makes for lots of loss. Does your rig have an antenna tuner? A long time ago I bought a 11M 1/2 wave antenna from Radio Shack and used it on 20M and up. I had a TS 440s/AT at the time and the antenna did quite well from 10-20M including the WARC bands. The point being, use the tuner in the rig for the higher bands. You should be able to use a full sized CB antenna with a tuner and be golden. Even with the miss matched antenna the loss in the short run of coax would be nil.
    Rob

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I doubt you could insert the whip part ("stinger") far enough in to raise the resonant frequency by 4 MHz.

Removing the whip altogether might work...have you tried that? Do you have an antenna analyzer?

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe it would be possible to "short out" some of the coil by wrapping a portion with AL "air conditioning" type tape (or AL foil). I don't know if it would work or not, but maybe worth a try. If it does work, you could cover the added AL wrap with heat shrink tubing. If you have an antenna analyzer, it should be possible to see what's going on immediately, as far as frequency change goes.

9. W8WFD

Haven’t experimented yet and yes, I have a antenna analyzer. Planning to experiment with a stiff wire instead of stinger and also try it without the stinger.

10. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom

1. GO AIR FORCE

2. These things are like $35 for one of them. Why not save time and just order one for 17 meters? It sounds non-trivial to me to make it work, but my spare time is very limited. Just my 2 cents.

WA7ARK, N5YPJ, AJ5J and 1 other person like this.