20 Meter AM Net On Wednesdays!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Jul 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah... 7 PM E*D*T - sorry I'm kind of pedantic about "daylight time is NOT standard time!" :D

Missed it today as I just didn't know about it but I'll try to remember to check it out and see if I can check in with the DX-100 next week!

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Best to use GMT. None of that confusion whether it is standard time or daylight shifting time, AM or PM, etc. 2300Z is 2300Z, anywhere in the world.

N1BCG likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, totally agree.

I work for a company with a nationwide network and I'm known as the guy who complaints about the "EST" business all summer. I tried to use Z but no one else at work seems to understand it, save a few ex military, though our peers we connect to do.

4. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. When I was part of a database management collaboration that is spread out from Beijing to Europe, we'd go through a semi-annual ordeal whenever the time change took place because a time had to be set for a daily video conference. Making it even worse was that U.S. and Europe moved their clocks ahead or behind at different times, about 3 weeks apart from each other. I suggested we switch to Zulu but eventually gave up after a few attempts. For some reason folks don't want to deal with it if they aren't hams or military. It's one way in which hams were a century ahead of everyone else. I can't comprehend the disinterest in such a simple solution.

5. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everyone uses GMT, but in other parts of the world the general public is at least familiar with the 24-hour clock. In France, I remember businesses displaying their hours of operation on the door, radio & TV program guides, train schedules, etc. all using the 24-hour clock. What really pisses me off is digital alarm clocks that have no option for a 24-hour setting. I once was late late to an out-of-town event because I got AM and PM wrong on the digital alarm clock the hotel provided to avoid having to do wake-up calls from the front desk.

It must be confusing for the airline industry having to coordinate schedules on international flights, with countries all over the world doing their semi-annual clock-change on different dates. If countries worldwide insist on continuing that nonsense, they should at least co-ordinate globally so that everyone changes their clock at the same time. Why don't we teach kids about GMT and the 24-hour clock in elementary school? When I was still doing my high school teaching job until I retired, most of my students were completely unaware of it.

6. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried late yesterday afternoon but the band went completely out at my location.

Pheel

7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, international flight planning is done based on target arrival times in GMT/UTC regardless of location. It's then up to the group that publishes the schedules to keep them current.

8. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Almost forgot, but signed in late.
    Robert (VMC) was strong into NJ.
    RF was getting into my audio but I fixed it later.

9. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Don’t forget today, @1600 hrs (4:00 pm Pacific) on 14.330, The 20 Meter AM Net. Light the candles boys and girls!
    De N6YW

10. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard Clark and he heard me. I didn't hear anyone else.