ad: QuirkyQRP-1

$20,000 Dream Station Prize at Hamvention 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Apr 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

What doctor/scientist are you referring to? Just curious. Is there some database that shows the current ticket numbers for Dayton? I'm not aware of that but would certainly be interested. Nothing AT ALL wrong with being cautious before plunging in with tickets and hotel rooms. I'm thinking a lot of folks are seriously looking forward to finally getting back to Dayton. At least that is what THIS doctor/scientist thinks.

...........Bob <-----doctor/scientist once upon a time :p

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

W1YW has been called that... maybe it's Chip?

Dave
    W7UUU

K4FMH likes this.
  3. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ah yes . . . . you are correct!

4. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe the federal gift (is a gift a prize) tax is that gift givers—not gift recipients—have to pay it. However, the giver won’t owe the tax until they've given away more than $11.7 million in cash or other assets during the lifetime of their business.
    However, as I pointed out in an earlier post, the gift receiver is generally on the hook or obligation to pay the state tax of the recipient's state and based on the typical MSRP value of the equipment being received.

The "GIFT" besides the great PR, DX Engineering also reduces it asset dollars by the cost value of the products given away and, at tax time, can claim the gift as an expense item.

5. KD4ASS

KD4ASS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonder if we can buy more than the one ticket entry? This is AWESOME!

W1YW likes this.
  6. I2YBC

I2YBC Ham Member QRZ Page

bello ma ....poi magari un dipolo e orecchie zero....hi

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

He is referring to a sticker for a guitar pedal (one that I own), that I used occasionally as my icon (not in a long time BTW). It is a 'Jetsons' theme. I used it because it is FORWARD LOOKING in a very hi tech positive way; strangely, something strongly lacking in many ham radio circles...

I am, frankly, tired of people using my 'attributes' as pejoratives, which is what you were seeing. Ham radio is inclusive, which is why I got into it. If I wanted to be pithed around I would hang out with Biff and his pals...

Hope that clarifies the matter.

[​IMG]

The givewaway was , apparently, planned for quite a while. It is not a gut reaction to ''alleged''low ticket sales or some virtual hamfest..To me, it's a message that Hamvention is heading to a spectacular celebration for its 50th year--the theme for Hamvention 2022.

Hamvention 2022 is themed for 'looking back for looking forward'. I buy into this message, given our present messed-up world . Hamvention is continuity, progress, and fun. Now that's a worthwhile community!

CU there!

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    W4PG likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hotel rooms are sold out around Dayton for 30 miles.... that , anecdotally, tells ME a lot! A few may free up, up to the last minute...seen that before.

For those who can't get a flight into Dayton..try Columbus. It's a 90 minute drive to Xenia.

9. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

READ everything Lukasz ! Than get back to us OM!

10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Flyer clearly states it is a "prize" and per tax law all winnings and prizes must be claimed as income and the taxes paid on them. The giver of the prize is obligated to issue the correct tax documents. Two out of the last 3 years I have won amateur radio related drawings, tax forms were issued to me and each year the tax man cometh and taketh away to the point I could have just purchased the items out of pocket.

K4FMH likes this.
  11. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have all I need in ham equip.
    Personally, I'd sell it all for 15K and take a vacation.
    Just say'n

12. KD9VV

Naaa. You have time.
    Sell it all immedietly; it's called a sandwich close.
    You get paid, pay the tax and pocket the rest.

13. KD9VV

U.S taxation is nothing compared to living in the state of California! LOL

14. KD9VV

..and, as I learned when I last attended dayton; right down the road is the Wright Patterson AFB and AFB museum.
    So if ones excursion to the fest is a bust, the museum is well worth a look..Free too!

N3HEV, N9FM and W1YW like this.
  15. KM4ZDM

KM4ZDM Ham Member QRZ Page

People complaining about the possibility of winning a $20k setup. Such a travesty! I would hate to see how you act if you were a paying customer.

DM2TT likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.