ad: UR5CDX-1

2 pin to RJ 45 possible?

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KM4ROE, Sep 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you decide to crimp it yourself, here is one option that should work ( with 26 or 24 AWG stranded round 8-conductor cable, or a handset coil cord that still has 'straight' portions of at least 3/4" long ): https://www.lowes.com/pd/IDEAL-10-Pack-Rj45-Data-Cable/3219031
    Note that there are plenty of others, you would still need the coil cord, and a crimper for the plugs. Yet the one specified *should* fit most any newer Kenwood radio. Note that there is a section here on QRZ under swapmeets for 'Ham Made gear', where folks who have the tools may be found. Or you could advertise in the swapmeet 'wanted' section.

2. KM4ROE

KM4ROE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the information. The IT guys at work said if I'd bring the mic and tell them what order the wires go in they would crimp the connector on for me. My challenge with the mic is, there is no way to take it apart (cheap unit) without breaking it. So I got 4 wires and trying to figure it out from there.

3. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've done exactly this, works great.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just use a Ohm meter. No need to take the Mic apart.

1 pin will short to Ground/Outer shell of connector when you press the PTT button.

The other pin will be the Mic element + , And Mic - will be the Outer Shell Ground.

Very simple really.

KC3PBI likes this.
  5. KC3PBI

This was of use to me when I made mine:

[​IMG]

As always, bust out that meter and verify before committing. Good luck!

KB0MNM and KA9JLM like this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. That is not the TWO pin Mic I was thinking of. My bad.

A speaker mic is a completely different story.

Please disregard my previous posts.

I will stand in the corner.

upload_2020-9-14_9-4-39.png

7. KB0MNM

8. KC3PBI

The diagram came from one of the manuals available for the Baofeng UV-5R.

Note that it describes a typical configuration, and not any specific speaker or microphone device, which is why you see no component-level details.

I can't tell you why they chose to illustrate the male connector when this is in the manual for the H/T itself, which of course has the female counterpart of this connector. But it was sufficient to let me adapt a Kenwood speakermic to RJ-45 and then integrate that into a patch switch with my Signalink box and then back into a Kenwood K1 (aka "two pin") connector going into my H/T.

KB0MNM likes this.
  9. KB0MNM

Thanks- So it appears that if the KM4ROE microphone is known to be a speaker-microphone, the following may be true:
    Between the tip of the smaller diameter (2.5mm) plug and either ring, an ohm-meter might measure around 2 ohms ( resistance is typically less than impedance ) and possibly create a slight 'clicking' noise upon connection ( the meter's internal battery will cause the speaker to move slightly, depending on the meter voltage source, etc. ).
    Between the rings that are furthest from the tips of the two 'pins' or plugs, an ohm-meter should read very close to zero ohms when the microphone PTT lever is closed. The resistance of the meter leads should be checked in advance, and subtracted. Typically lead resistance is .08 to 1.4 ohms if the leads are any good. Some meters are pre-set to account for this, yet connections may vary- especially as leads tend to get intermittent where the flex is permitted- near connectors.
    I would refrain from attempting to make further tests on an unknown speaker-microphone than the two above ( yet that is just me ) without an oscilloscope. There are few microphone elements which can benefit from a test using an ohm-meter other than the older dynamic ones.
    A photo of the microphone & separate connector might help clear up any further confusion, along with the suggested RJ-45 pin-out and/or model number of the radio.

NK8I likes this.
  10. KM4ROE

KM4ROE Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry about the delay in my reply. I'll send a picture of the microphone and the pin out that I was planning on using ASAP