ad: portazero-1

2 Meters … The New CB Band Of Interference?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB4IME, Nov 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Everyone listens. They think that since they only use it on weekends or something less, they won't get
    caught. I guess it is but another challenge for us.

KA2RRK

2. K8WZS

K8WZS Ham Member QRZ Page

so this HAS been going on for decades and you are NOW just a little upset . Hell this so called NEW CB fad also involves hunters , militia , truckers ..and the list goes on and on . YOUR ARRL was notified of this use back in 2000 and their lame answer WAS ..... get this ....... IGNORE IT AS IT WILL GO AWAY. And when hams kept complaining TOO MUCH they were told if they continued their ARRL membership would be cancelled . So put that in your ARRL pipe and inhale BIG ! This isn't KANSAS anymore Toto .

VE3TLT, WD8ED and KC5SAS like this.
  3. KG7VTO

KG7VTO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll not lose any sleep over this either. Yet another inflated story designed to strike fear in the hearts of good hams everywhere.
    Chill out Chicken Little, the sky is not falling.

VE3TLT, WB0MPB, K6MTS and 4 others like this.
  4. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

They don't know that!

Recently launched amateur satellites have had to change their design to require UHF uplinks and VHF downlinks because of both unlicensed and licensed interference from many sources on 2m... taxicabs on other countries, truck drivers, etc. AND stuff just like this. But then there are ALSO fully licensed hams who don't consult the band plans... they simply dial up a 'random' frequency, don't hear anyone and just assume it's okay to transmit... Sorry, not the case. It's quiet because it's an UPLINK channel and the satellite never transmits there; but make NO mistake... it HEARS YOU even at QRP levels. This is no different than someone trying to work simplex on a repeater input... well, except that repeater's coverage is hundreds if not thousands of miles!

One time I listened to two truck drivers about five miles apart having a 'private' conversation over two meters which was being relayed ALL OVER North America on the FO-29 satellite. Then there is some type of internet chat remote base somewhere in the SE US that has been interfering with the SO-50 satellite literally FOR YEARS. No one can ever grab a callsign to start the detective work because it's not using a PL tone and only snippets of audio ever make it through the squelch. (It's worse on Saturday mornings when there is some kind of net coming over it.) Some cases where an individual will set up a 'cross band repeater' at home to relay the local repeater to an HT... those take some sleuthing, but can very often be found.

And now the latest threat is digital ham radio signals, perhaps hotspots, being tuned up on the new UHF uplink frequencies. Those get distorted and are very difficult if not impossible to decode. Please... check the band plan. Don't just listen for a day or two, hear nothing and 'call it good'.

Bottom line... I agree, this unlicensed activity should be actively discouraged. And when you talk to them tell, them that a satellite might be relaying them for hundreds/thousands of miles and they won't hear a thing. BUT also, please, before you set up a device on the VHF/UHF bands on a 'random' frequency, please consult the band plans and avoid the satellite sub-bands.

Thanks! 73

WB9RRU, W8YIH, W0LP and 2 others like this.
  5. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Excellent Point!!!

6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not supporting their illegal use, just pointing a few things out. They probably found out the Bubble pack GMRS/FRS channels are all crowed with Kids, Pool guards, or Drive thru lines. Much more traffic on those then 2-meters in my Metro area, especially if your up in the air hundreds of feet. Same reason I hear Hunters using Marine VHF radios far from water. I doubt its the next CB issue except probably near some large PP attractive locations.

AK5B likes this.
  7. KT4RK

KT4RK Ham Member QRZ Page

DING DING! You win the prize!

AK5B and KI7BZ like this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes this is a bigger threat and getting larger every month with the DMR hot spots set to UHF up-links all over.

AK5B likes this.
  9. K3RPK

K3RPK Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Drone and hang glider rounds

"PULL !"

K4XJ, K0PV/SK2023, AK5B and 5 others like this.
  10. W3ATT

W3ATT Ham Member QRZ Page

What frequency have you heard them on? I'm "policing" the band and I don't hear anything.

11. KL7GLK

KL7GLK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hell, if you hear them, just Jam them.
    They can only be floating around up there for so long and if done this will send them else where.
    Teach these clowns a lesson.
    They have plenty to do just staying alive up there to screw around with radio's - they don't need 'co-channel' interference- they'll catch on real pronto, believe me.

12. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yessir! You can't "interfere" with illegal stations who have no business on the frequency to start with.

13. N4MIT

N4MIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

well what do you expect when they can get a $35 handi-talkie? Frankly I couldn't care less about 2 meters or 70cm as far as that goes. You wanted these cheap handi-talkies, now deal with it.

WD8ED, AK5B and AI3V like this.
  14. NA5WH

NA5WH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure if I would say their sport is unregulated, part 103 has some pretty clear regulations on when, where, maximum weights, what what airspaces, etc. But yes, due to the relatively inexpensive equipment (probably $6,000 all told if new), does, like import cheap radios, generally lead to abuse. Also, most PPCs are actually not FAR Part 103 and do require an FAA sport license. Almost all of the people have PPGs that are FAR 103 compliant (under 254 lbs, less than 5 gallons fuel, etc).

That said everyone I know that does PPG has aviation band, but then again I live a major metro and there are planes EVERYWHERE and not having aviation band radio is certain trouble once outside of the surface to 400 agl. And PPG is legal up to just under 18,000 feet... provided not going into B, C, or Surface-Level-E, (or D without tower approval).

But yes, it is how CB is and how radio-controlled planes were (RIP rc planes with the most recent faa authorization .. 'drones').. There are rules, and sadly there are those who break them. And at least like drones, eventually they will be regulated, because of the safety concerns. (FAA has done a lot to expand the ability to get an actual pilots license the last decade or so).

But 2M interference has been around for quite some time. I remember when I got my license decades ago and started in 2M .. how often I heard it. Sadly FCC usually only goes after routine severe interference. Personally I would play fox hunt and try to promote positive use of amateur radio. Imagine if one could get a class in field day that allowed a transmitter outside the 1000 foot circle ... or maybe make the 1000 foot circle on the ground extend up to 1200 feet AGL... talk about some nice 6M, 2M, 440 contacts that could be made.. :)

Of course really with how easy the ham license is to obtain, kind of sad not to see more promotion of the legal use of ham radio.
    But yeah, the main reasons 2M is the target is $20 radios, with a lot of "empty" "channels" (as the ppg page seems to describe it).

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually his renewal was apparently held by the FCC for 6 years, but granted. Not revoked. Note correction.