2 meter Yagi

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K3OCW, Dec 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3OCW

K3OCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone gave me a Cushcraft 2 meter yagi. It was a 11 element but first 3 elements are missing ( and their section of the boom ) . Can I use it as a 8 element yagi ? Or do I need to re-space the remaining 8 elements ?? It has the matching box like the R7 verticals
    Thanks

2. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe a slight adjustment of the gamma match & you should be fine.

Ed

3. K3OCW

Thanks Ed

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If it has a "matching box" and not a Redi-Match (which is a gamma match) that's a different kind of matching system they went to more recently.

You should be able to operate without the last 3 directors and not re-tune anything. The center of gravity (balance point) will obviously be different, so move the mast mounting clamps to the new balance point.

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When you say the 'first 3 elements are missing' do you mean the three out on the forward end of the antenna or the three closest to the driven element?

6. K3OCW

3 at the forward end. I haven’t looked into the matching box’s , just visible the same as one on the R7’s.
    Thanks

7. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good news, I doubt you'll have to do much at all in terms of antenna re-tuning with 6 remaining directors all at correct spacing.