2 Meter Transverters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Sep 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

This is why sdr is necessary on 2m and higher frequencies. Being able to see a slice of band activity makes it much easier to find people to talk with.

What radio/transverter are you using? A friend of mine uses a flex w/ a yeasu transverter. He has fairly good luck with that setup. I tinker with homebrew stuff, but none of it is awesome. I've been putting the sdrplay through its paces, and its a really awesome fm reciever.. but still not sensitive enough for ssb work (in fact the front-end goes bananas when a nearby repeater keys. makes it useless for ssb when the emcom nutters are having a net).

I'm thinking about a 7300 and a decent transverter... just haven't found the will to come off the dollars.

2. KM6WRG

KM6WRG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the responses about the transverter-store.com product. Looks like it is exactly the type of product I was looking for, decent quality for a low entry price on my first rig.

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Transverters I used with a TS520, an Ellegy
    The only experiences I had with transverters ;
    I bought a new TS520, It had 80/40/20, 15, and ten meters.
    I wanted to get on 160M and found a Dentron 160M down converter, worked OK but where I lived I didn't have room for a full sized 160M antenna, I tried several kinds of undersized antennas, got disappointed and finally sold it.
    Next, I wanted to get on VHF SSB and Bought the matching TV506 (or was it the TV502) I found out it had LOUSY sensitivity on receive, A one microvolt (kind of strong ) signal was BARELY detectable.
    Options were to tear apart the factory new unit and install a preamp in it or SELL IT !
    It WENT for what I paid for it to a ham who just wanted all the matching accessories for his TS520 and may not have ever put it on the air :D

4. KB2E

KB2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah and I'm guessing it's completely inaudible to anything but a HP Spectrum Analyzer.