2 Meter Transverters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Sep 26, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm interested in a 2 meter transverter to use with my Icom 761. Any suggestions? I want to start 2 meter SSB along with FM. Thanks, Mike

2. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Mike,
    Put in a search for 'Transverters Store, Ukraine'.
    I just received my parts for the 220 band and just this minute am beginning to assemble it so can't tell you anything about performance and still need an antenna.
    There is 222 contest on this Sept. 29th but likely will not be ready.
    I wanted this to complete my total band capability on my Kenwood TS 2000 making it a 14 band radio with all mode capability.
    The boards look very nice.
    Took about 2 weeks to come from the Ukraine.
    The price is right if it works at least reasonable.
    I e-mailed Serge with some questions and he got right back to me.
    Good luck.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How is the "new" freq displayed?

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The frequency is still what it is on the i.f. Most transverters use the 10-meter band although there are instances where other bands, including 50 MHz, 144 MHz, and even 432 MHz are used for various frequencies. For 2-meters, with a 28.0 MHz intermediate frequency, the injection frequency is normally 116 MHz. As such, when the frequency read out on the IC-761 reads 28.000 MHz the input/output of the transverter is actually 144.000 MHz. You have to "mentally" convert the i.f. frequency to the transverter frequency.

The "low end" of the 10-meter band, 28.000 MHz, becomes the "low end" of the 2-meter band, 144.000 MHz. You have to ignore, for the 1st MHz of the 2-meter band, the 28.0 MHz of the 761 dial and "think" 144+ the kHz readout. For SSB / CW, you will not be going any higher, in frequency, than 145.0 MHz (mainly the lowest 300 kHz to 400 kHz of the band) and will not have to do any other mental conversions. That is, for the SSB "calling frequency" of 144.2000 MHz, the IC-761 will read 28.2000 MHz.

Glen, K9STH

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Many more modern rigs will convert the display to read 144.000 instead of 28.000 as a menu selection if you use a transverter. But with older rigs, simply ignoring the digits preceding the decimal point is easy and works fine.

DEMI and SSB Electronics transverters are excellent, although lots of others on the market. My first 2m transverter was homebrewed from a circuit in the ARRL VHF-UHF manual in about 1970 and used tubes...it worked extremely well and I made thousands of contacts with that. But my first commercially made one was from Microwave Modules in the U.K. and it was all solid state and even better. That was in about 1977.

A good horizontally polarized rotary beam is a must, so don't skimp on that part.

7. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Be awhere that most Transverters will not cover the whole 2m band due to the limitations of 'your radio' for transmit unless you make a modification to the radio.
    Here is the deal; the 2m band is 144 to 148 = 4 MHz wide.
    Your radio as the IF, goes from 28.0 to 29.7 for transmit that = 1.7 MHz wide.
    You can see how much is missing.
    The only two ways to get around this is to widen the radio transmit or change the crystal frequency in the Transverter and make it switchable in some manner.
    Most Transverters are used for SSB in the lower part of the band and will handle some repeater splits in the lower FM area.
    Good luck.

8. WB2WIK

There are transverters that cover the entire 2m band using a 10m IF subsystem, by switching L.O. crystals with a front-panel switch. I had one of those, the Microwave Modules MMT144-28R. They thought of everything.

However, 'most' users would only use them on SSB-CW-digital modes which are all below 145.7 MHz, so this really isn't needed. I think the vast majority already have a 2m FM rig anyway, and would use a different antenna for that.

9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

10. WB2WIK

Indeed great stuff and very pricey! Even the SSB LT2S costs less and it's very expensive (but also very good).