2 meter tones

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ4OTL, Jun 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I know of one repeater in my area using DCS on 2m. The story I heard is that this repeater used to use CTCSS, until they had a problem with someone behaving badly, jamming, and being an unwelcome nuisance. They tried changing the CTCSS tone a few times, but the bad apple was able to follow them. They switched to using DCS and that stopped him. I'm not sure how close this story is to the truth, but I am certain that the repeater is using DCS, because I've used the repeater.

One interesting thing about DCS: Most ham transceivers are set up so that, if they transmit DCS, they will only receive transmissions with the same DCS encoding. Unlike the way CTCSS is usually implemented, there is no option to encode DCS without requiring it for receiving.

I don't do crossband repeat, but if I did, I think I'd use DCS 0n the UHF side, to make it less likely that someone would stumble upon it and unwittingly get into my crossband repeater and bring up a wide area 2m repeater.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think one reason you see it more on 900MHz, Is because a lot of that gear is Motorola and they have the ability.

Those repeaters get little use around here. Many are considered a closed system, And that is not what ham radio is about.

If you want a closed system then use the phone. Do not hog a repeater pair that only a few operators can use. :eek:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    W8ARD likes this.
  3. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let's not forget GE Channel Guard and RCA Quiet Channel.

KA9JLM likes this.
  4. KJ4OTL

KJ4OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

Okay. Thanks. Why cant they just say that? By your picture I see there is some fear and loathing in the ham world.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't confuse PL or Tone Burst with Roger Beep. :D

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked with QuietChannel and Channel Guard systems before I worked at Motorotola They thought "Private Line" sounded more professional :D
    When I got to the Motorola shop I peeved the life long Motorolans when I called it "Tone Squelch" :eek:

KA9JLM likes this.
  7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

The usual customer spending taxpayer money on a police car radio is clueless about radio. Giving the same electrical signal different names from different companies is a technique to allow bid rigging in the letting of government contracts.

Rege