2 meter tones

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ4OTL, Jun 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a good point. I don't know what terminology Icom uses, but on Yaesu, I believe the settings are called "TONE" and "TONE SQUELCH". You want "TONE" turned on, because that means that you are transmitting the tone for the repeater to pick up. You want "TONE SQUELCH" turned off, because you want to hear everything, whether or not they are transmitting the tone. (The repeater will have "TONE SQUELCH" turned on, meaning it can hear you only if you are transmitting the tone.)

2. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Dtcs Digital tone code squelch is sent as long as you key the mic, it is a 3 digit code, 123 in your case.

Subaudibal refers to a analog tone, again sent as long as you key the mic. In your case it is 193.5 Hertz.

DTMF stands for dual tone multi frequency, it is the sound a telephone keypad makes.

Depending on the repeater, it may take either, both, or no dtcs or subaudibal tones to "bring up" the repeater TX, and the repeater may transmit either,both or no dtcs or subaudibal.

The subaudibal is also called PL by Motorola.

Rege

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just to clarify a bit, the repeater could take either one to bring it up, but it will only TX one or the other at any given time. IOW, it doesn't encode PL and DPL simultaneously.

The PL and DPL tones and codes come from a standard list. The OP typed 193.5 instead of 103.5. 193.5 is not a standard tone frequency for normal PL use, although there is no particular reason it wouldn't work, just that it would be too close to the standard tone of 192.8. And also 123.0 is a standard PL tone, whereas code 123 is not a standard code for DPL (dtcs). The DPL codes are setup in a Golay sequential encoding format, using octal code numbers from 000 to 777, although most are not used because of falsing of other common codes. Of the 511 possible octal codes, only 104 are commonly used, and can be shown to decode reliably without falsing on other codes or tones.

Most ham repeaters will use standard PL type tones. A few repeaters are setup to use DPL. DPL was invented by Motorola to satisfy the need to have more discrete users on any particular frequency. Back in the 80's a few ham repeaters started using DPL, as the owners were Motorola "people". Most ham radios back then could not encode DPL, so those repeater owners said that DPL stood for "definitely prevents losers", as it would keep most people off the repeater.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Motorola DPL is Digital Private Line. I have never seen in used on ham radio repeaters.

CTCSS, Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System, is used on most repeaters in the USA.

5. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I have.

7. KA9JLM

We use that term on our Repeater Coordination too.

Same thing different name.

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KA9JLM

I am sure there are some. I bet they get limited use too.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I almost always use the terms PL and DPL to describe CTCSS and DCS, since it is easier to say and most people that have been around for a while know what you are talking about. It can be confusing for newcomers, since the term PL is generally not mentioned in the programming manuals. So, it is a good thing to understand what someone is talking about when they say "PL".

Besides, Motorola invented both of these technologies, so we might as well use their term. More or less, it has become a generic term, sort of like thermos, Levis, and Coke.

DPL is used on some ham repeaters, seems to be more common on 900MHz than on 440, but I have seen it listed on both of those bands in coordination lists. Hardly used at all on 2M, but I'm sure there is some repeater somewhere in the USA using it on 2M as well.