2 meter tones

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KJ4OTL, Jun 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ4OTL

KJ4OTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I just bought an icom ic v80 2 meter handheld. Im trying to get it set up for repeater operation. Can anyone tell me the difference between dcts encober, dtmf tones and subaudible tones? My repeaters list simply the tone 193.5 and 123 respectively. Thanks for any help

Kevin
    Kj4otl

2. KJ4OTL

Sorry thats 103.5

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Subaudible is the one you need. They are sometimes known as "PL" tones, since that's the registered trademark of one purveyor.

The DCTS stands for Digital mumble mumble Squelch. DTMF refers to the dual-tones used by telephones, commonly known as "Touch Tone".

4. KJ4OTL

Thanks
    Kj4otl

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

CTCSS is the setting that you want.

6. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CTCSS = PL = subaudible
    all the same, different names

7. KA9JLM

But you can hear them. o_O

8. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Only on radios that don't have 300 Hz high pass filtered speaker audio.

9. KA9JLM

Or if the tone deviation level is all jacked up.

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to keep in mind is that different radios behave differently and use different terminology, relating to tones and programming, etc. CTCSS is usually set up when you want the RX to open up on a certain tone, "subaudible" or "tone" or similar words are used when you want the radio to TX a PL tone.

This causes confusion sometimes as all repeaters do not TX tone, or sometimes the tone transmitted is not the same as the tone received. For typical repeater use, your radio should be set up to TX subaudible tone, and RX with carrier squelch. unless you know for a fact that the repeater you are using actually is sending a specific PL tone.

We have had more than one person set up PL TX and RX on a radio, only to have it be able to get into the repeater, but not be able to hear the repeater.