2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Typical use of radiax is in tunnels and vertically in skyscrapers.

I've heard it's used inside Navy ships.

It's sort of a combo coax/short range antenna.

Usually for the security/maintenance radios that need 100% reliable coverage.

Sometimes for am/fm radio inside tunnels

Most heliax uses a combination closed cell foam dielectric, and the foam sticks tight to the copper so water will not wick in.

The piece you show looks very usable.

It has a bit more loss than the air (spiral) type, of course the air dielectric isn't waterproof as far as wicking at all.

Rege

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    KC8VWM likes this.
  2. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Rege.

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe "Radiax" is a trademark, but it's "leaky line" coax; i.e., coax with slots cut in the outer conductor purposely to both radiate and receive signals along its length.

I've seen it used to promote wireless comms in tunnels and stuff, but there are probably other applications.

4. WA7F

I didn’t take any of the Heliax since they were too short to mess with, maybe 50’ to 60’ lengths. I did grab a couple hundred feet of LMR600, control cable, etc. The 170’ of tower is in good shape and the TIC looks good. Here’s the loaded tower my helpers.

CD2D5B53-5948-47F9-A8D4-18B94EE57923.jpeg

KC8VWM and AI3V like this.
  5. KE7RFL

KE7RFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m finally going to jump into 2 meter SSB. I have an Icom 271H that will be mated to a stacked M2 HO loop.

While not located in an ideal location (I’m in Wyoming’s Big Horn Basin...surrounded on all sides by mountains), I manage to do fairly well on plain old FM, so will see how SSB looks.

6. WA7F

Let us know how that works. I’ve got a similar issue with the QTH in a bit of a hole. I’m actually thinking that I won’t put up the 2m beam and instead focus the 2m/70cm on satellite. Hopefully 2m EME next year.

I have most of the parts with the exception of a circular polarized 2m beam. Thinking of building a LFA if a M2-2mcp doesn’t come around on the classified.

You might do better with a beam rather than a loop but, heck give it a try.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  7. WA3GWK

WA3GWK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Life is good here on the north gulf coast on 2 meter ssb. Several well equipped stations and many more average (like myself) stations active.

8. KE0OFN

KE0OFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Several contacts each morning, can be had on 144.215 in the eastern Oklahoma area. I'm in Kansas and have no problem talking with these guys. A friendly bunch, they do nets a couple nights a week. I frequently send out a cq, though often it goes unanswered other times of the day. A couple guys in OK have really nice stations, big power with great antennae. Me, just 50 watts and a homebrew 6 element yagi-uda, up on a 45 foot tower. I am very much a newbie and this is all I've done, so far. I'm thrilled to get out a couple hundred miles or even more, on occasion. Not a lot on 144.200 most of the time. I may try fm at some point, but I really like simplex and ssb is great for me. If more technicians, like me, realized what 2m ssb can do, I think more would be interested. The biggest problem I see; very few 2 meter all mode radios available. I ended up buying a yeasu 857d for the purposes of 2m ssb. I did eventually find an old kenwood tr-9000 (made in 1980) that needed some work. Bought it, had it repaired, gave it to my son with a used amp. Now he and I can communicate at 100 miles and we are both only newbie techs. Oh, and I built him an antenna too. No one makes a 2m ssb capable rig anymore. I would think there is a market for them, I guess not.

KU4X, KD8TUT, WA3GWK and 1 other person like this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The one problem (if it exists) is that on 2 Meters, FM is usually Vertically polarized, while 99.44% SSB operations use Horizontal polarization,. There is a theoretical infinite amount of attenuation between the two polarizations, but in "real life," the attenuation is 20-30 dB. Trying to use a vertical antenna (used for FM) on SSB will be VERY disappointing, to say the least.

10. WA7F

I see this as a benefit rather than a problem. The polarization offers some attenuation between FM/Digital and SSB. If you want to play with SSB then use the right tools.