2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6YAE

KK6YAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ldf4-50 (1/2” heliax) only has 0.815 dB of loss, per 100’ at 150mhz. 1.447 dB per 100’ at 450 mhz. This is per Andrew/Commscope’s spec sheet.

2. K2LCK

K2LCK Ham Member QRZ Page

2 ssb mainly for dx/contest...ssb is horizontal,two fm is vert....

W1TRY likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

The use of high quality low loss feed line for weak signal work comes with the territory. It's not really something optional. However, there are alternative ways to acquire it to save on costs. Best way is to get it used from a local ham fest in your area.

Why?

#1 It's used, so it's much cheaper than new.
    #2 If it's Andrews Heliax, the connectors you need are usually already installed.
    #3 There's no shipping costs.

AI3V likes this.
  4. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m taking a dinner break on a road trip to buy a tower and tic rotor. There’s some Heliax remnants but it has probably been cut and in the rain since Thanksgiving. It looks like more of a waveguide than a coax. I expect that moisture, dirt, bugs, etc. in the waveguide is not a good thing.

555AA54F-9166-4C78-9778-BAA10B81EFC9.jpeg

5. KK4YIV

KK4YIV Ham Member QRZ Page

That is Heliax.

6. WA7F

I’ve never worked with Heliax but, it looks pretty serious.

7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Be advised there is a type of "elliptical waveguide" that looks like squished heliax.

[​IMG]

There is also "radiax", which is the radio equivalent of a garden soaker hose :)

[​IMG]

Note the slot in the shield.

Two kinds of heliax, foam dielectric:

[​IMG]

And spiral (air) dielectric:

[​IMG]

There are also "old style" and "new style" versions of each, the outer copper can be formed into co-eccentric rings, or a threaded spiral, the connectors are not interchangeable.

Rege

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    KC8VWM likes this.
  8. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

This right here :)

Rege

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The damaged line shown above isn't any kind of waveguide, it's Heliax.

The center conductor is tubing -- no need for a center "core" as RF only travels along the outer surface of any conductor, so to save cost and weight they just leave the solid center out and use tubing instead.

The section shown is quite damaged. It needs to be "round" and not misshapen.

10. WA7F

Thanks everyone for the Heliax lessons. The stuff in photo was likely cut off with a hack saw a couple weeks ago so who knows what is hanging out inside of the tubing. Most likely metal fragments and moisture. I’m primarily after the tower and TIC rotor but who knows what I’ll find this afternoon.

Just out of curiosity, what application would use the radiax “garden soaker” variety?