2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Install the halo, or better still a small 2m horizontally polarized yagi on your unit/property (not common use property) and call it a television antenna. Actually, a VHF-UHF beam (smaller ones, dual-banders) not only look like TV antennas, but can be used as TV antennas and can work quite well.

They cannot be prohibited in any state by any entity, as Federal regulation supersedes CC&Rs and HOA By-Laws as well as municipal ordinance and building codes with respect to television antennas (since 1996).

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

2. N3LRX

N3LRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got my HF dipole made of 2 horizontal MFJ-1699 antennas (an outbacker clone) mounted to a mic stand in my living room which I occasionally put it out on the balcony at night, a tri-band VHF/UHF antenna on a ground plane kit on a mic stand also in my living room, and a 10 meter dipole tacked to the wall. So there are already a few antennas indoors already.

The MFJ-1699 does 6 and 2 meters with precise tuning, but I want a dedicated 2 meter antenna so I don't have to pull the FT-857 out of the rack and cable swap every time I switch to 2 meters, and a good VHF/UHF rated switch is not cheap.

With a 2 meter halo/loop I can get a short mic stand and mount it to that on top of my rack. I can get a loop for around $50 plus shipping. That will save space in my living room. I've got about 4 feet of space from the top of my rack to the ceiling. I'm on the 3rd floor so I do have some height. I'm not sure what ground level (HAAT) is. With the tri-band antenna indoors I am able to work 20-30 miles on FM.

3. N3LRX

I live in an apartment. Unfortunately those rules don't apply, they make their own rules.
    I am not allowed antennas of any type. I've already been busted once for having an antenna on the balcony.

4. WB2WIK

Sorry about that!

With an apartment, the "landlord" can make whatever restrictive rules they wish in most cases; however in 1999, OTARD (FCC rule) was expanded to include apartments as long as you have an exclusive-use area. A balcony that is not shared and is for your exclusive use would fall under this category.

IMO, probably 95%+ of all property managers and landlords don't even know this Federal law exists. If they violate it by restricting this specific use and try to terminate a lease because you violated "their" rule even though you did not violate the Federal regulation, take them to court and you'd win. Seriously. Although you'd probably piss them off so they may not renew your lease.:p

Here's the wording from the law:

"Effective January 22, 1999, the Commission amended the rule so that it also applies to rental property where the renter has an exclusive use area, such as a balcony or patio."

5. N3LRX

6. WB2WIK

That doesn't look like a TV antenna.

But if the balcony is for your private use and not shared, a 2m beam or 2m/70cm beam (which could be installed on a swivel mount so it can be hand-rotated in lieu of using a rotator) would look like a TV antenna and actually be used as one if you wish (in addition to using it for hamming) and would be allowed under the Federal preemption, OTARD.

OTARD also prohibits property managers from disallowing satellite TV reception dish antennas; that's why in most places you see lots of them on balcony railings and such -- they cannot be lawfully prohibited (in fact, this is really why the OTARD rule was drafted and made it through Congress in the first place, to prevent cable TV providers from having a monopoly).

7. N3LRX

It didn't work very well anyway. I lit up the balcony on a voice peak with it. I don't know what it found on the other side of the plywood but it found something to spark off of and it arced pretty good. And that was only 40 watts carrier on my K7DYY AM transmitter. I also had to use coat hangers. The whips provided were too short for the AM window. The MFJ-1669s will load up just about anywhere with my MFJ auto tuna. Just change the tap and tune.

8. WB2WIK

Arcing to a nail can do that.

75m is a really poor band choice for limited space operation. I have a house and a 55' tower with a full-sized 75m inverted vee, and can run a kilowatt, and 75m is a band I choose to almost never use because the "big guys" have way better antennas -- especially the AM'ers!

I've checked into the West Coast "Collins" AM net a few times over the years, and it's amazing...several stations are running plate-modulated KW transmitters (375W carrier power, 100% modulation) and antennas like full-wave loops at 120' above ground and "more," so they're heard in about 50 states as soon as they push the button.:p I can't compete with that.

9. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Go roving. Get a portable beam and head for the nearest hill. There's a guy near me that goes up on the Blue Ridge with 2M/70cm. It's amazing what you can hit when you're up about 1300' with a not very large beam. I was up there once and hit all the repeaters in DC with my HH and rubber duck, about 60 or more miles away. You have to choose your times though. I've got a 10 el 2M beam up about 40', not above the trees and I can work into NJ and SC on SSB once in a while in the mornings. But I've noticed the activity has dropped off the last 10 years or so, or maybe I just don't listen enough.

VE3CGA likes this.
  10. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

wish our govt had some over-rules for this sort of thing. I know a few locals who are almost as "clandestine " as hogans heroes wireless.
    Roving just might be the solution, sounds like you already have the rig and the antennas. at least you could operate.