2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether AM or SSB, or even CWyou won't get much on 2M/70 cm with a vertical antenna! (99.44% of the ops there ARE horizontally polarized, and there is a 20-30dB loss from crossed polarization. Theoretically, infinite loss, but in real world 20-30 dB.) The fact you are apparently using an indoor antenna doesn't help, either.

VE3CGA likes this.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Considering the typical 2m SSB signal is 2-10 dB over the noise, using a vertical antenna would put 100% of them "in the noise," and I don't expect to hear anything at all on 2m SSB with a vertical.:)

3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have to agree with WA9SVD and WB2WIK. Used to work lots of repeaters across the lakes here on a 2M vertically polarized 4 ele quad on my FT60R and 25W amp
    Got my 9100 and switched to an 11 ele horiz beam and it was like they all but vanished.
    But worked the east coast, Illinois and Montanna on 2M SSB
    There was activity on cw, ft8, msk144 and SSB

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Pays to have separate antennas for FM and "everything else."

I use a vertical gain omni for FM, and horizontal beams for the other modes. The difference is astonishing. One click of a coax switch.

5. VE3CGA

for sure, still have the quad and have been thinking of putting it back up with a remote switch

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 2M @ about 35 watts out. I CAN hit the Santiago Peak repeater (@30 or so miles away) with my horizontal 5 el 2 Meter Yagi, but can just barely hit a local repeater @ approx 12 miles away. (But I CAN hit the local repeater @ 5 watts with my Baofeng and it's standart H-T antenna.)

7. N5ITO

N5ITO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2M SSB? Every night... 144.200 calling all the time if im not doing MS.

8. N3LRX

N3LRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess I'll get a 2 meter halo. I figured there would be some cross polarization loss but had no idea it would be that much. I just have to figure out how I can mount the halo. In my apartment rules there are no outdoor antennas allowed, so the indoor antenna is what I'm stuck with. I've already been busted for an antenna mounted under the balcony ceiling.

9. VE3CGA

have you ever thought about a 2M quad or small beam on a camera tripod. You would have to decide how visible would that be after dark. I had a house with the "ever dreaded" covenent - had a 18avq that I would put up after dark. Moved outta that after a 1/2 yr. I also remember a friend had a big wheel and he did fairly good back in the 70's on AM

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet I can talk to you on 2m SSB. :)

2m ssb.jpg