2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in SoCal, there was a lot of activity. Now that I live in Colorado, the only activity I hear is during the weekly scheduled net, and contests. I attribute this to population - if you live in a populated area, more folks to talk to.

Satellite SSB would be an exception - you could be 100 miles from another Ham in the boonies, and make contacts via a bird...

2. W2WDX

W2WDX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@N4MTB Mike, I'll tell ya. Looking at your house on the map, you should get yourself an HF vertical, pound a pipe into that beach in your backyard and run some coax to it. You have the most ideal situation for an HF vertical being right on a salt water beach. Would probably work better than any wire antenna at the heights you're limited to. Would be an awesome DX antenna, because the salt water would increase your low angle radiation significantly! Especially to the West and South-west. And if you pound that pipe deep enough, down to the salt water-table on the beach, you'd probably not even need to add radials!!!

And if you get a small VHF 2m horizontal Yagi (like a small 4el) you'd do great on SSB 2m being on City Island, even on the chimney mount. City Island is small and flat and surrounded by salt water on all sides. I'm jealous!!!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    K5VZD likes this.
  3. N4KZ

N4KZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was quite active on 2m SSB starting in the mid-70s though about 2004. From Kentucky, I worked 40 states -- all states east of the Rockies and a few west of the Rockies. I never ran more than 200 watts with a single horizontal yagi. I mention this just to demonstrate what can be accomplished with a good but still relatively modest station. (A really big station would have a kW and multi-yagi array.) I always used a good quality receive preamp which is necessary for weak-signal work on the band. My best DX was out to New Mexico on a couple of occasions during E-skip openings. But the QSO that I still think about was working CO2OJ, Oscar, in Cuba, during the 1990s. During an E-skip opening to the south, I hard Oscar pop up out of nowhere so I called him and got a 59 report from Cuba on 2m SSB. Then I looked at the coax switch and realized I had worked him on my 2m ground plane used on simplex to talk around town instead of my usual SSB 18-element yagi on a 29-foot boom! BTW, you don't need a yagi that large to be quite successful. For years, I used a 9-element yagi on a 14-foot boom. 73, Dave, N4KZ

KK4CUL and NE3R like this.
  4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a reminder, the antenna needs to be horizontally polarized for efficient terrestrial contacts...

5. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do. Picked up a new old Kenwood TR-9130 and a local ham "oh I have a beam laying around if you want it" so I got a 13 element beam up about 25 feet. Made some local contacts and one contact 189 miles away. 25 whole watts! Looking forward to the VHF contest and see how I do.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get the beam up high and use good, low-loss coax and you'll be surprised!

It varies by exact location, but in "most" places, 25' isn't high enough because that may be equivalent to the height of local obstacles (houses, trees, power lines, whatever). After 53 years on 2m, my rule of thumb is: I need to see my 2m beam from several blocks away; if I can't, it definitely is not high enough.

My current 2m beam can be seen from about a mile away, if you know what direction to look. That appears to probably be high enough, although higher would be better.

7. K7JBL

K7JBL Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty common down here in Portland too. :)

Phil
    K7JBL

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's weird, to say the least. Unfortunately, most of our club members don't even know how to turn on a radio, if at that, yet they put in their "4 hours per month" to keep at the club station, and the ensuing free lunch.
    A few years back (2009 to be exact) I (as solo operator and for our club) ) won the ARRL VHF/UHF contest award for the LA Section on 6M and 70 cm.
    Now, the 2M and 70 cm satellite antennas are long gone, seen as an "eyesore"to some. So much for my dream of making the club station truly "brilliant." Now, it is just a "plain ol' HF station," and people here at QRZ even ask if the club station still exists? I'm presently not physically able to get to the station, but I wonder if, in a year or two after hip surgery, if it will still exist? Certainly my love and joy,VHF/UHF are gone, (apparently) gone forever.

9. AA0CW

AA0CW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's as high as I can get it right now. I'm in the country so there's no houses, power poles, in the way. Other than those pesky mountains a few hundred miles to the east. Maybe I'll point it west!

10. N3LRX

N3LRX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to hear some 2 meter 70 centimeter SSB/AM activity here in Battle Creek, MI. I have never worked SSB or AM above 10 meters. I recently bought an FT-857D, my first all mode rig capable of VHF/UHF. I heard a few stations on 2 m last weekend during the VHF/UHF contest, but they were too weak to get reliable copy. I'm also on an indoor antenna so I'm not in the best of situations. My 2/440 antenna is a mobile vertical, and my 6 m antenna is a horizontal dipole, also indoors. I can work 2/440 repeaters 25-30 miles away with no problem, but I never hear any simplex stations to really put my station to the test. I monitor 146.52 regularly. I've also got a 220 FM capable rig as well.

AM is my primary mode, but I'd still like to try SSB above 10 meters. I've never worked 6 meters ever!

I've always liked AM more than any other mode and always will. I started as a NoCode in 1992, AM on 75 meters was my incentive to upgrade because I wanted to join them. I'm from Maryland which explains the 3 land call, so I cut my teeth in AM listening to the big guns on the east coast better known as 'The East Coast Sound' Broadcast quality radio the ham bands, much bigger sound than my Heathkit Apache could make.

So anyone near Battle Creek, MI that would like to help me test my VHF/UHF AM/SSB capabilities drop me a note. I'd love to get some radio time in other than repeaters.