2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason 2 meter SSB is not as active as 15 years ago. Very few stations on 2 meter SSB in the Detroit, MI area calling CQ and I use a 10dB beam antenna. It can be days before a 2 meter SSB station is heard here. You would think a large city would have a lot of 2 meter SSB activity.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Same thing in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, unless there is a contest, very little 2-meter SSB operation. Even 2-meter FM operation is no where near what it was back in the 1970 through 1990 era.

Those of us, who were promoting VHF FM operation in the late 1960s into the 1970s, really oversold the mode. After the peak in the 1980s into the 1990s, activity dropped considerably. Even with many newcomers using just the Chinese handheld units, FM activity is way down and, since SSB operation requires considerably more involved equipment, such operations have dwindled to almost none in many areas.

Glen, K9STH

3. KJ4JAE

KJ4JAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of activity in my area in the mornings (central Kentucky), for the last six months ever since I managed to put up a four element M-squared beam horizontally polarized about 30 feet in the air on the roff and with a rotor, I'm working stations about every morning out to around 150 miles.

When conditions improve and APRS site shows blobs I have talked 389 miles near Albany Illinoise and down into Alabama and Georgia to two stations multiple times on my FT-991 on 144.200 USB and with about 200 watts. Lots of stations use the ON4KST Chat rooms to coordinate 2 meter SSB QSO,s.
    We get on there and see who is active and then message each other to point our beams at each other and most times we are able to make contact without tropo or band openings out to around 150 miles or so in the mornings.

Here's one of several videos I have up on YouTube.

4. KE0OFN

KE0OFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Probably a stretch for both of us, but I'm in SE Kansas. I'll aim at ya tomorrow, 8:30 AM on 144.200
    Ya don't know, till ya try. I love 2m ssb.