2 Meter SSB?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4MTB, Aug 19, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does anyone still use 2 meter SSB?

2. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I do. However, tropo conditions are very good in my location up/down the east coast since I am located on Long Island, NY. Occasionally sporadic-E propagation as well; however that's been quite rare on 2m in recent years. Many stations still operate 2m SSB weak signal. I can make contacts daily, using a Cushcraft 10el yagi and up to 1kw power, and even occasionally on my Cushcraft ARX-2b Ringo vertical.

K9ASE likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I do but mostly just for yakking with locals and the occasional VHF contest action. We have a ton of 2m SSB operators in the greater Seattle area. More than I typically hear on 146.52 FM in fact.

Dave
    W7UUU

NC7U likes this.
  4. N4MTB

I'm in the metro NYC area, so I would think There would be some traffic. A CQ on 144.200 is good?

5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Satellites anyone? :)

6. W2WDX

W2WDX Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes it can. However, on a day like today you may find conditions are not ideal for anything DX. Even locally its a bit tough when the air is unsettled. You should become familiar with the various propagation that works on 2m, and watch for conditions here in NY. A few things, reducing receive noise on your station is important, a good directional antenna helps along with horizontal polarization. And of course height is might when it comes to your antenna. Noise can be very high in NYC; I was up in the Bronx until recently however I had numerous weak signal contacts since my yagi was up on top of 24 story co-op which was on the second highest hill in NYC, so that helped.

Bah ... satellites. That's cheating. Hihi!!

7. N4MTB

I'm new to VHF having just got an IC-970 and IC-821. My antenna is a marine VHF vertical tuned to the amateur freq.
    I guess I need to work on the antennas and start studying the propagation. Any help is welcome. Thanks

8. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in Ohio, there were a couple guys that I could hear quite frequently a few Khz below 144.200, Think it was 144.197..
    They were about 100 miles apart. one was near lake Erie.

Been about 10 years, so I dunno if they are still OTA.
    If you have a beam, you could try pointing it in that general direction,..
    Ymmv

9. N2SLO

N2SLO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Plenty of SSB activity every morning on 144.205. If you want to work weak signal work, must be horizontal- either loops or yagi/quad. A group here on Long Island also hang on 144.192-193,
    and they are usually vertical. They are in Suffolk. On 144.205, with most of the guys we can work a 400 mile radius- we all have large amps and at least 9 element yagi's on towers or up on the roof
    at least 30-40 feet. Coverage is from FN 14 down to FM 17 without enhancements... If you need info- email me or stop by on .205 from 7-9.45am or also during the week at night.
    David

KA0HCP likes this.
  10. N4MTB

Thanks everyone! I'm going to work on some antennas and see you on 2MSSB

N5RLR and K9ASE like this.