ad: cq2k-1

2 Meter SSB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9ROD, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K9ROD

K9ROD Ham Member QRZ Page

What a great day it was for 'E' skip. I was listening to several 6 meter stations in South Carolina about 15:40 UTC today 7-9-04, when I was listening to one fellow talk to another about 2 meter SSB being wide open on the East Coast. He said he was going to 144.205 to make some contacts. So just for the fun of it I turned my other radio on and dialed up the frequency. Low-and-behold he was booming through 30 over 5/9. When he ended his conversation I gave it a try. Got him. My first 2 meter SSB contact. Got another one right after that before the band opening shut for me. Thanks to KE8FD and WB4UNA for my first 2 meter SSB contacts. By the way, I'm in Colorado. So it was 1350 miles for the contact. Moral of the story, everyday you can find something new to try in amateur radio. It never gets boring. Rod K9ROD [​IMG]

2. K1FPV

K1FPV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations Rod! Unfortunately, I was working for this 2 meter opening. However on Wednesday July 7th. the same thing occured and maybe even better. I am in VA and worked into Iowa (NØDQS on 144.185MHz.) with 2 meter SSB. A couple locals were able to make the same route on 222 MHz. In my over 40 years as a ham, I've never seen the MUF up to 222MHz. Old Sol has granted us some real nice conditions to work with! [​IMG]

3. VE3EN

VE3EN Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats, i just purchased a new IC-756 pro II and received around Jul 3.. and then the band conditions for sporadic E went crazy.

On july 5th around 19:35 was hearing some stations on 10M from places like North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee...  good signals... however here in FN25 in eastern ontario.. Spo-E conditions like this are pretty normal... but then the great 2 hour opening happened.. tuning around the band.. heard a station say he was on Long Island NY.. i was like who... thats 300 miles away and his sig was 30 over. A little farther up the band.. a station in Massachusettes.. by this time i was saying.. i better make a call.   So i tuned my antenna.. pointed the beam south.. and next thing you know a pileup of stations for me.. and the band scope showed several sigs all around me.  I ended up working 43 stations one after another from states like NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, MD.. and pretty much all sigs were 10 - 20 over.

In the middle of all this.. i worked a great guy named Scott for the first time W1SSN. He is in CT and we got into a short QSO about how amazing the conditions were.. and i told him.. now if i could only work Maine for my number 50 for WAS. Ive never even heard a ME before on the air.. since my location is too close for normal skip conditions.   Sure enough about 15 stations later Tom W1QU called me and said your 5/9 in the state of Maine.  I said to him.. are you serious.. and he said yes.  He mentioned how he was talking to W1SSN a little up the band and he told him that i needed Maine for WAS.. so he came down and made the contact with me. After all the conditions died down.. i took a look on the cluster.. and he even spotted me for looking for ME.

So defenetly a great experience for me.. working number 50 and working states i dont get to hear often.. and it shows that there is still many great people on the air, even if its something as simple as posting a spot.

The conditions even enabled me to make my first ever contacts on 6M.. worked 7 states.. not too bad since i only had an antron 99 vertical to use for that band.  A beam is coming soon for 6.. and hopefully for 2M since there were many spots that week for 2M openings.

Sorry to ramble.. but the talk of the 2M opening reminded of my great radio experience a few days before.

Hope it happens more often.

73, Kevin VE3GIB [​IMG]

4. KC0PDF

KC0PDF Ham Member QRZ Page

i also enjoyed 2m opening it was amazing to work so many grids from en46 ... and thanks for the QSO from the east coast hope to work you all again on 2m ... well we can hope can't we ... 73 Russ Kcopdf

5. AB8JH

AB8JH Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked into EM48 in Missouri from EN90, eastern Ohio. If you saw my location you'd never believe it. Its a 10 element vertically polarized 2 meter beam pointed straight into a hill!

That QSO was my only 2 meter SSB contact during this good opening. I chose to focus on 6 meters, which was chock full of short-skip DX. I worked grids that could only otherwise be worked via aurora skip. Simply a fantastic opening! Lets hope we see more of it before summers' end. 73 DE AB8JH

6. KG4EHV

KG4EHV Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a great opening. Had stations 5/9+40 at times,and worked some up close to .300. Thanks to all we got to work. 222 and 432 never opened up here [​IMG]

7. W3NRL

W3NRL Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That day i will not forget, i am in fm29iv and worked n0kqy in dm98 and k0xxx em46, also work em48,em19,em58, em39. this was something i will remember for a while, At first i thought i was on 6 meters..!!!! i was using ic 910h with a 2 meter 5 element beam some 36 feet up.....had fun [​IMG]

8. N2YEV

N2YEV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been doing the weak signal bit now for 4 years, and in that time have had two opportunities to work 2M DX But those opening were brief at best less than 25 mins each...that was back in 2001 and 2003. Last week was the best I've heard ever, over two and 1/2 hours! Through magazine articles and talks with other fellow hams, all are of the same oppinion that was the best 2M opening ever! I'm always amazed when I think I have old SOL, and propagation modes figured out they surprize me with another first.
    Anyway from FN34gs in NNY here in Plattsburgh, NY to all the way to Miami Florida. Not sure what the exact distance is but it has to be near some record. Over all I had 40 new 2M DX QSO's with 17 new grids in the process! Thanks to all who returned my call. GL in your endeavors in weak signal work new and old alike.
    See you in the next contest...CQ WW VHF...

Jim, N2YEV
    jhayes9424@charter.net

9. KA2LIM

KA2LIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last time I worked a 2M opening via "sporadic E" that was similar to this one was in the mid 80's.
    You should try more VHF & UHF weak signal work, you just might like it. And, by the way, you will find that knowing code will make the difference in making or not making the contact in weak-signal work.
    See you on 6,2,222 & 432.

Ken
    KA2LIM  [​IMG]

10. N0XE

N0XE Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not get in on this opening but helped my friend W0AV, make about 18 Qso;s on 2 meter E skip by letting him know that very short skip was coming in on the 10 meter band and conditions might be hot on VHF.  Sure enough when he checked, 6 was going like crazy and to his surprise, 2 was wide open as well. He worked mostly NE states from here in MO, but also snagged a KY and a SC two days later on a very brief opening.  Way to go George, !!!
    73 Jim N0XE

11. Guest

Guest Guest

All I can say is that is great! But.... you should have been on 2 meter FM on July the 6th, I am in NW GA, and I made a contact with a station in Ontario Canada! VE3RGR, on 2 meter fm simplex! (On 146.520) I had already wrote in here last month about the other band opening I had talked on, and didn't want to post another one, but this gave me a chance to say that 2 meters can be a wild ride! Congratulations to everyone who got to make some dx contacts!

73's
    Andrew
    KI4DWG

12. K7OTA

K7OTA Ham Member QRZ Page

Great deal. [​IMG]

This does sound interesting. Can someone give me information where I can read up on how to take part in these events when they do occur?

KD7OTA

13. WB4UNA

WB4UNA Ham Member QRZ Page

it was a great day for 2 meters..I made contacts into GN08 VO1TJM, DM95 W5SFW, EM29 W0AV, EM19 AE0G, DM89 N0YK DM75 N0VS, EM10 N0RHL, and of course K9ROD DM77. was a great day on 6 also but more fun on 2 meters.Thanks to all that was on the band that day and hope that we have more days like that on 2 meters... [​IMG]

73's to all
    Randy WB4UNA

14. VE3TMG

VE3TMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been working 2m ssb since 1993 and on July 6/04 was the best e-opening I have ever worked or heard.
    It lasted for over 2 hrs.I worked the following grids
    fm15,fm25,em41,em31,em30,em55,el98,em54,em81,em73,fm04,em27. 8 of these grids where new. [​IMG]
    And on July 9/04 2m opened again it lasted for about 1 hr.
    I worked em00,em12,el09,em10. 2 where new grids.
    Not a bad week on 2m!!
    I'm in en82.I'm glad I was on vaccation or I'm sure I would've missed the opening.
    73 to all and good dx.
    Terry

15. kc2ftn

kc2ftn QRZ Member

It was a GREAT 2-meter opening ! My furthest contact from my FN24 location was Texas. Not too bad for a 706, a Mirage brick, and a PAR Omniangle loop at 25 feet.

KC2FTN
    www.hamwave.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.