2 meter SSB interference

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by VK2TXB, Jul 6, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. VK2TXB

VK2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all,
    Just got a 9700 and for 2 mt ssb I'm using phased halos and also a 10 el yagi. I run HF as well with a hex and i have no issues with noise, but on 2 mt ssb i get a constant pulsating noise that is extremely consistent. On the beam its loudest and makes long distant contacts impossible. On a vertical its barely audible but on halo its loud, and yagi even louder...a constant S5. Can anyone point me in what to look for, as my HF stuff is fine, but 2 mt ssb horizontal is terrible. Halos are up high and so is beam, the fact both antennas are picking it up rules out antenna issues... they are just picking up the interference. Station is grounded well, so I have no idea, HELP!

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Battery charger.

3. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Does the noise peak in one direction on your Beam?

4. VK2TXB

I just moved beam around in different positions and it did change the noise level alot, .... hmmmmm?

5. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

In that case it would seem the interfernce is very close by and horizontlly polerized.

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What's in the direction of the peak? Neighbors?

You might need to put some boots on the ground with a handheld beam and VHF receiver.

Using AM mode may work better.

7. VK2TXB

thanks, Ill try and figure out where its coming from, I do have neighbors with solar panels... doesn't affect my HF, wonder if its that?

8. VK2TXB

I'm gonna try and check that actually, will turn house power and hook up radio th battery and see if its anything in my house.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Does it go away when the sun goes down?

Pulsating noises are typically battery chargers...

10. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, the panels are quiet, the inverters that modulate the panel DC into mains AC can make alot of RFI all over the bands.

Hopefully it's not the neighbor's solar installation and something easier to fix! Peace in the neighborhood and sll that.

But worthwhile to eliminate. Please tell us what you find.