2 Meter SSB in Florida

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by WA4NJY, Jan 9, 2021.

ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4ZKT

KN4ZKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall, that was a great tropo opening. We might be able to work all the time now. I upgraded a K3s and a 2m DEMI transverter (from a TS-2000) and it totally transformed my station.

Don't want to get too off topic here, but living in Florida is a great spot for weak signal. Any vacations near the coast or Florida in my future will require me taking a 2m setup portable :)

WD4ELG and WA3GWK like this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From spring to autumn I can reach a group in northern Florida from central South Carolina on 2m SSB early most mornings.

In the southeast, some level of tropo assist is the norm as opposed to the exception for a significant portion of the year.

WA3GWK likes this.
  3. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed on the tropo. 8 ele yagi here, I work out to 300 miles mostly in the mornings with high pressure...even in winter.

4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in Florida a couple times a month always try to get the highest hotel room! I just got into 2m SSB and will be seeing if I can raise some QSOs. I also would love to get over into Bahamas from Fl. with my FT818. Anyone doing that type of thing?

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With my 5 element horizontal yagi at 45ft above terrain, I can do 2m SSB around town on 5 watts, but every 50 mile or greater contact I have ever made was with at least 50 watts.

This sort of 2m work is called 'weak signal' because your most common DX QSOs are coming in somewhere below an S2 or S3. If you cut the power to 5w, it can quickly become unreadable.

It certainly might be possible from time to time on 5 watts; but with power that low, reliable comms would require serious height, a seriously high gain antenna, or both.

6. KN4ZKT

I've worked northern Florida (325 miles away) with a Yaesu 817 and 5 watts. I had 6 elements, and was at 4,800ft mountain topping.

Florida gets a lot of enhanced tropo ducting conditions, so it's entirely possible you could work pretty far from the top of a high hotel.

K4YNZ and W4EAE like this.
  7. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s crazy distance! I am planning a trip this summer to hit some of the high peaks in NC for SOTA getting a Florida QSO from there would be super cool.

8. K4YNZ

K4YNZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The nice thing about UHF/UHF is the lack if static. This allows a lot of pleasant contacts at or near the noise floor.
    Height Above Average Terrain is your best friend. I always tried to double my height. We had 220 remote base/repeater. The repeater tower was at 2250. The remote base antenna was a mag mount on an AC unit. From Birmingham Al we covered 5 states on 2m and 440. The cell site presented interference in two counties no matter how low we went on the tower.
    Power: Learn to work in Db. and figure your ERP. At VHF and UHF you can get cheaper two way gain with aluminum. Keep your feedline and connector loss to a minimum.

Working from a hotel: Good idea. Watch for two things. Some window tint is metal based. The metal frame can give you a problem. The window tint will kill your signal. The RF exposure can also exceed non-occupational limits. :)
    John K4YNZ

9. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2M SSB Net East FL Net Weekly Wednesday 8:00 PM Local time 144.225 USB Cocoa Beach area I think .

2M SSB Net Pinellas net control Weekly Sunday 8:15 PM Local time 144.210 USB Tampa Bay area.

10. KN4ZKT

Isn't there one Monday night sometime on 144.210? I've heard them before, because there is a 2m SSB net on 144.210 up in the NE corner of GA run by WA4NJP at 8pm.