2 meter simplex

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4LHY, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can't beat 2m SSB for long distance rag chews. Just talked to a friend 136 miles away with s9+10 signals on both ends.

2. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking for a good affordable 2m SSB along with a 70cm SSB.

3. KN4BSH

I thought SSB was used primary for DX.

4. W0GSQ

W0GSQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even!

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

From most locations, that distance should be workable on 2m SSB every day 24/7/365 using 25W and modest beams. Over water or flatlands, all the better; but even in hilly terrain it should work fine most of the time.

"Line of sight" is a strong-signal thing on VHF and UHF, and isn't even necessary on SHF. I've made hundreds of contacts on 2.3, 3.4, 5.7 and 10.3 GHz that are w-a-a-a-y beyond line of sight (hundreds of miles) under totally "normal" conditions. It takes gain antennas.:p

6. KN4BSH

Yeah excited to do more simplex; however, have been doing some simplex with a friend, and we have noticed that 70cm works better where we are at. I guess that has to do with the wave length and all the tall buildings around us.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It might. Depends a whole lot on the antennas.

8. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I pretty much talk to him 4-5 nights a week, band conditions don't matter. And he is in a direction where I have a ridge that is 400' higher than where I am about 60miles out. Then it drops about the same on his side.