ad: CARC-1

2 meter simplex

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4LHY, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a very slick little rig. I had one for years (and also the 6m version which I think was the IC-502 if I recall).

HOWEVER....they are small, battery-operated rigs, kind of like a VFO-controlled 2m SSB/CW handie-talkie. Only about 3W PEP output power, and not frequency synthesized. Dial accuracy is not very good, and they do drift a little bit. Also, because they're now so old it might be difficult to find one in really good condition that is still fully functional.

You can use it with an outboard 12Vdc power supply, but its real claim to fame was being "portable" with internal batteries and an extendable whip antenna.

For backpacking/hilltopping/camping it's a very fun rig; but for a home station I think you'd be pretty disappointed.

2. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I really would like a 817nd; however, the cost is keeping me back for now. I was looking at the Alinco DX8; however, I read poor CW reviews on that rig. Guess I will just settle and save for the FT-450 and something used for SSB/CW/AM work on 2m.

Thank you again for assisting me for my quest for 2m CW/SSB/AM

3. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

a thought experiment:

if you take a half-wave dipole cut for 75m and chop it up into pieces [pieces designed for 2m antenna] you could build a 43 element yagi...

or a stack four 11 element yagis.

compare:
    the distance reached with 100w into a dipole on 75m
    with
    the distance reached with 100w into a four-bay stack of 11-element yagis on 2m.

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Pattern on the dipole is hundreds of lobes and no directivity even if it will put out a signal, pattern on my 4 x M Squared 2m12's is 19dbd gain and a 15 degree beamwidth...

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

In my neck of the woods (NE England), there's virtually NO activity on the two local 2m Repeaters any more . . . all the activity is direct simplex contacts.

It's like people have finally realised that using a Repeater is cheating . . . much more satisfaction radiating your OWN signal, rather than being re-broadcast.

Roger G3YRO

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Might be that, or might be (what I think it is) the shine came off the new penny a long time ago.

Repeaters are still helpful "for extending the range of mobile and portable units," which is what they were always for. To have ops sitting at home using repeaters to chat always seemed silly to me.

We have a pretty big local system here, VHF repeaters on each band co-located on a tower atop a mountain at 6300' and monitored 24/7 by the Sheriff's Department. In fact, the system is all owned by the Sheriff's Department but it's all amateur systems on the amateur VHF bands. Works well, is always open, and comes in handy if someone has an actual emergency.

I never have any emergencies, so I normally don't use it. Although last night I ran out of Bombay Sapphire gin and that was a semi-emergency. I did not use the repeater to remedy that.

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Can't agree more. But happens around here. Some folks simply do not want to engage in the hobby in any way outside of rag-chewing.

Sure. That makes sense. Its not like you ran out of Glenlivet. And if you had: thats why we have 911 service.

9. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Arrange that wire as a rhombic and you will get just about the same gain on 2m

And 6db more on 220

And another 6 on 432 :)

Of course, the Yagi's are a bit easier to rotate.

Rege

10. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny that you mention this - FM and repeater is not my thing. I do have an interest in RACES; however, I view repeater usage as an emergency service. As I mentioned before - the most enjoyment I have had so far - is calling CQ on 146.420 and receiving an reply.

I was able to use a buddies FT-991 for 2m USB; however, didn't hear or receive anything.