2 meter simplex

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4LHY, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ditto.

The FT-817ND runs 5W and covers a lot of bands and is actually a pretty good 2m rig (all mode: SSB, CW, AM, digital, whatever).

However, from a "home station" where you have commercial mains power available, I'd recommend something that runs more power and might be "bigger" and easier to make adjustments. There isn't a single 2m SSB-CW "only" rig on the market in the U.S., at all. There used to be, in fact there were many of them years ago but they were all discontinued, maybe because technology advanced to the point where "adding a lot of other bands" became so inexpensive that it just wasn't worth making a "2 meter only" rig.

The Ten Tec 6n2 meter transceiver was quite good and covered only 2m and 6m and was a good SSB-CW rig but discontinued maybe about ten years ago. I still see them on the used market sometimes. The 2m "single band" multimode rigs are all older than that!

N4LHY likes this.
  2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I picked up one of these Kenwood TS-700SP for $100 at a local hamfest...

Have a look around on the QRZ and QTH swap boards too.

[​IMG]

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

700 is a workhorse and was my first intro to 2m weak signal when a friend was trying to keep a sked daily from New Ulm MN up into Devils Lake ND! The number of times they managed to work was amazing! Of course that was back in the 70's... now I run much better equipment and that is a chip shot unless the band is really bad...

4. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a IC-251A, 10 watts and it drives a 180 watt amp. Works great on CW, SSB & Simplex but is cumbersome to operate repeaters. Since I usually operate 2 meters on .52 simplex or SSB and only use 1 repeater (a friend of mines 120 miles away) it works fine. Did not have CTSS so purchased and installed a PIEXX encoder which works well. If I do need to operate local repeaters during weather alerts I use my Woxun handheld but it's probably been 8 months. I monitor .52 daily and make a few SSB contacts weekly on the IC251A.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably been longer than that for me! And I was an "early adopter" of FM repeaters, used them since the earliest ones came on the air in NJ back in the mid-60s (using surplus Motorola/GE gear at the time since there weren't any "ham" VHF-FM rigs on the market yet). Put my first repeater on the air (WB2WIK/R 146.805) in NNJ back in 1973, and several others at other locations over many years.

Sold my last repeater about seven years ago now (145.280 WB2WIK/R in Camarillo, CA) and I don't think I've made one VHF repeater contact in the last year or more.

Did ride it through their popularity peak, which I think occurred in the early 1980s when everyone was on VHF-FM repeaters, even old timers who never made a VHF contact in their lives until then. But that peak was a really long time ago.:p

6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

What about the Yaesu FT221 ? Really well-engineered rig . . .

Should be able to pick one up pretty cheap.

[​IMG]

Or the later FT225 ?

[​IMG]

Roger G3YRO

KC8VWM likes this.
  7. WA8UEG

This is what I was looking for when I found my IC251A, it was in mint condition and the price was cheap. Like many of the 251's & 551 6 meter rigs the AC supply was shot but it worked fine with a 12V supply. I like the 225 and have heard good things about them.

8. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Folks - this is awesome... thank you so much for the recommendations. This is WHAT I am looking for. I have started out with a Baofeng UV-5R; however, in the very short time FM and Repeater operation is not really my thing. I called CQ on 146.520 the other day, and someone answered, and that was the most excitement I have had so far... just knowing that someone was able to hear me on simplex and answered my CQ.

If I need to access the Repeater, my Baofeng and home built ground-plane PL239 jack antenna will work just fine.

SSB, AM and CW really attract me... especially CW.

9. WA8UEG

I used a converted Motorola in the late 60's early 70's for 2 meter simplex Air Force Mars as AFB8UEG. The 1st commercial 2 meter radio was a TR22 around 1981 +or-. Phone patch was a big draw early on and upgraded to a Azden PCS3000 and PCS 300 handheld (I still have both and they both still work!!) When I need to move the PCS300 handheld I have to use my hand truck :p

10. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was even looking at trying to find an ICOM IC-202