2 meter simplex

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4LHY, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN4BSH

KN4BSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you SKIP or Tropospheric Ducting take place on 2m? If so - how does one take advantage of this? Yagi antenna?

2. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. It can happen on any VHF, UHF or higher band.
    You don't necessarily need a yagi. I depends on how good the band opening is. You have to be aware of what you can normally hear in your local and notice when you start hearing stations outside of your local area. A couple of times I have worked repeaters over 300 miles away using only a hand held and rubber duck antenna or mobile radio during tropo openings.

N4LHY likes this.
  3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

This website will tell you if you have tropo occurring on VHF in your area, in real time.

http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/

Zoom in on your location on the map.

N4LHY likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Skip" refers to ionospheric propagation, and the only ionospheric propagation available on 2m is Sporadic-E, which is pretty rare on 2m but can happen.

Ducting definitely occurs and is much less rare; that's a tropospheric condition not related to the ionosphere.

However, in my now 52 years experience on VHF-UHF, I have to say "most" ducts work better at higher frequencies. It's common for a terrific tropo duct to occur that's workable on 432, 902, 1296, 2304 MHz and "just barely" workable on 144 MHz. But it certainly does happen, and now and then can even be worked on 50 MHz (although that's not common at all).

From here in Los Angeles, many of us (including me) have worked Hawaii on 144 MHz and higher bands...distance almost 2500 miles...but, it's over water which makes it easier. That "usually" happens a few times each year, you just have to catch it.

5. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

That map only shows APRS data. It is NOT reliable because:
    1. APRS doesn't exist everywhere.
    2. It only shows good APRS packets that were decoded properly. APRS uses the AX.25 unprotocol mode which is not very reliable and any packet received with even 1 bit error will be discarded.
    3. In some areas there a a lot of collisions and weak tropo signals can be covered up.
    4. Weak tropo signals are more likely to have checksum errors and not decode. See #2.

6. WB2WIK

Scanning the 2m beacon band segment and turning the beam about 30 degrees at a time while scanning the 2m beacon band will reveal a lot about band conditions.

It's the "only" thing I do to determine enhanced propagation, and it works really well. I set my rig to scan 144.275 to 144.300 continuously and automatically so the only thing I need to control is the beam heading. Within five minutes I know what conditions are like.:)

N4LHY likes this.
  7. KN4BSH

2m beacon is down around 144.275-144.300 correct? If so - how does someone hear these propagation beacons? I have been trying to get these beacons with a FM HT; however, I have not been successful. Please help me understand the concept, but I am trying to hear some signal, which I then will be able to determine how far I am able to hear. However, that does not necessarily mean they might hear me, due to power or antenna propagation.

8. WB2WIK

The beacons are all CW. You won't hear them with an FM receiver.

You need a CW/SSB receiver and of course it helps a lot if you can copy Morse code, since that's what they use to identify, usually sending the callsign along with the grid square (so you know where they're located) and often some additional information like "10W Lincoln NE" or something. Only the "callsign" is actually required by law, so any other info is what the operator decided to add -- but almost all of them send their grid square.

9. KN4BSH

Do you know of any HT or cheap 2m cw/ssb radios? I want to get more into SSB/CW my area is dead with FM. There is a repeater, but I want to more off the repeater - repeater communication just doesn't excite me.

10. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

FT-817 is what I have.