2 meter simplex

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4LHY, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

By all means, there's lots of activity around here. If one of the satellites is passing over on your way up I'll even try you there (assuming you have a 1/4w)

I noticed that you me and Ash are about equidistant in a triangle. Maybe we'll get a good tropo event this spring and pull the trifecta!

N4LHY likes this.
  2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I will keep you in mind. My station is partially disassmbled at the moment but will be back online soon.

N4LHY likes this.
  3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not been up there in a year and a half..'things may have changed since then...

The 21 repeater is host to some of the finest hams youll find. Evening drive time is a riot with that bunch.

N4LHY likes this.
  4. KD2LGL

KD2LGL Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok Here it Goes How I look For dx open is I use my scanner or 2 meter
    I go to weather .gov on my end its 162.500 if its going on i hear

them then I know its going on then i can go to simplex
    & call CQ

Steve

KD2LGL Out

N4LHY likes this.
  5. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

My elmer (alan) said:
    RF is tricky business American_progress.jpg

N4LHY likes this.
  6. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Switch to 2m SSB and really stretch your simplex distance! My best tropo is 1260 miles to the southern tip of TX. And during that tropo opening of the century back a few years(2002? forget the year!) I heard CO2OJ in Cuba 5x4 but couldn't get past the wall of QRM to my southeast to work him. Right now with a front coming in and poor 2m band conditions I am only hearing the en53 2m CW beacon about 5x1, normal would be 5x3, good it has been 59+ and it is 350 miles from me. The beacon runs 50 watts to a pair of omni directional horizontal loops if memory serves me... Yes I have a medium sized yago array up in the air at 35 feet! 2 x M2 2m12 yagis(12 elements, 20 foot boom) and a mast mounted preamp. 2 meter tropo is a blast and once you are hoked it is for life!

N4LHY likes this.
  7. N4LHY

N4LHY Ham Member QRZ Page

I am definitely trying to get hooked on it. I am almost done with a 6 element homebrew beam, but will be able to get it up that due to HOA, but I can put it up at night and take it back down so we shall see soon. Hoepfully this weekend I will have it working. I am working with 50 watts but that should be okay into the beam for now. I will when I get moved to North Carolina try and get a good set up going for 2 meter and HF for that matter. Then I will hooked for real.

Chris KG4LQZ

8. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been underwhelmed so far this year - a little bit of enhancement here and there but nothing spectacular yet. We've got plenty of time left though!

9. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

10. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

From my QTH to the southern tip of TX I cross Buffalo ridge that is 400' higher and another high spot(~200 feet higher than me)... but I do know that was a tropo opening. My path towards Chicago is just normal forward scatter mode with me the high point.