2 meter simplex

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N4LHY, Feb 26, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N4LHY

N4LHY Ham Member QRZ Page

Today while leaving my office in Myrtle Beach SC I heard K4WRS calling on 146.52. It was loud at first then dropped off. Call sign shows Bryson City, NC up in the mountains. Maybe some good conditions today but I could not reach back to him. Maybe he was visiting our fair city and this is all for not hihi. 73
    Chris KG4LQZ

2. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He could have been mobile and as he topped some high terrain you heard him. Then over the hill he faded away.
    You can send him a P/M here on QRZ and let him know that you heard him in SC.

AD5KO and N4LHY like this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there was a line of storms in the area. That would lead me to Tropospheric propogation. I have used an HT to talk from MA to NJ before.

Ed

4. N4LHY

I emailed him at his listed email to check his QTH for sure.

N6QIC likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Entirely possible for this stuff to happen. Tropo ducts can stretch to more than a thousand miles on 144 MHz (sometimes).

The "pineapple" duct sets up over the Pacific usually a couple times a year and from here in Los Angeles we can work the Big Island of Hawaii (2300 miles) on VHF-UHF when that occurs. The station(s) at the Hawaiian end are always very elevated, up 10,000 feet or so; here on this end, you can be much lower and the duct often sets up to produce strongest signals within only a few hundred feet above sea level.

6. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks entirely workable. Tropo openings, even strong tropo scatter which is much more common than ducting, This page can give you some idea of what's happening - it displays an approximation of tropo openings based on APRS beacons. http://aprs.mountainlake.k12.mn.us/ Right now, it looks like a well equipped station should be able to work Miami from the south east corner of SC.

N4LHY likes this.
  7. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I try to hit Myrtle anytime the band is ideal but can never raise anyone.

I was able to hit the dillon repeater a few times but no one ever resonds.

The rumor mill said myrtle has a bunch of 2m ssb ops but in three years of trying i still havent made contact with one.

8. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a stellar aprs digipeater in raleigh but it's sick until someone can fix it, so propagation around here might be better than advertised. FYI

N4LHY likes this.
  9. N4LHY

Hit me up when ever you wanna try to reach here. I can usually get to my radio pretty quick, no 2 meter ssb for me anymore but will have a beam up soon for FM at least. I can hit Dillon and hear it super easy.

10. N4LHY

I will be in Raleigh next weekend for a college event. May bring the HT with me