ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. ROBERT_BRAND

ROBERT_BRAND QRZ Member

Thanks for the in Put,

A epic ? for me,

I have a Moble, 2Meter
    kenwood Tm-261A

I want a HT, unit since I would be using that 99% MORE!!!
    I work 12 hour shifts, etc.. and I will be using a HT alot more..

IS it worth getting a multi-band HT
    exp::: 6m/2m/440 etc... I see them around $300~~~
    vs a 2m HT $100~~

I know the HTs are all low Watts, around 5 watts

(the question is will the HT give me the distance Im looking for
    since it can be a 6meter band) or is the watts to low))

-Robert

2. ROBERT_BRAND

ROBERT_BRAND QRZ Member

Mr and MRs, Elmers
    your noobs ? of the night
    NOW MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!!!

after reading this... about the 2 meter....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio_frequency_allocations

i know this is most likey the 99.99% perfect conditions..L

ok with that said.. the HT
    doing 5-10 km
    5km= 3miles ~~
    10km= 6.20 miles~~

IF i understand Everything Right...
    The HT and the Reapter have to be with in the 5-10km to work right...
    IF its a 2meter HT.
    Right??

Also for a ""low power home station and a simple antenna range would be around 50 km""
    What is to be called a LOW POWER Rig.. ?
    ?= is he hitting a Repeater @ 50km or is His rig to other Rigs @ 50km?

sorry its late and I hope this looks like im thinking it to be. =)

-Robert Brand

3. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Robert:

By cramming with the practice test, you have bypassed getting much of the information you will need to successfully operate as a Ham. I recommend going back and using the practice test questions as a way to learn the information behind the question.

The FCC allows a Tech license to operate on a number of different bands. Each band has a different characteristic. The 70cm and 2 meter bands are primarily used for local communications, because it is not common for their signals to go more than about 20 - 30 miles. These frequencies are what we call "line of sight".

6 meter tends to work the same as 70cm/2 meters, however, it does often have times when the signal travels much farther, even thousands of miles.

The frequencies in the 10 meter band have the capability of going around the world, but they are dependent on the presence of sun spots. We are in the minimum of an 11 year cycle of sun spots, so 10 meters is more often no better than 70cm/2 meters. However, there are intermintant times when 10 meters does go around the world. As more sun spots appear (the new cycle is starting and will be much better in a few years) 10 meters will be wonderful.

Below 10 meters, you are only allowed to use morse code 9CW), and only on very small parts of a few bands.

Also, Hams use the term "dual band radio" or "dual bander" to refer to a radio that can operate on both 70 cm and on 2 meters. There are a few radios that will operate on 70 cm/2 meters/6 meters. Many of the newer, and much more expensive, "HF radios also have 6 meters on them.

Again, I highly recommend you learn the theories and background behind the questions in the practice test. A really great source of information is the ARRL Handbook. They are a little expensive when purchased new, but an issue that is just a few years old (i.e., used) will be very much cheaper and still have all the knowledge you need.

4. ROBERT_BRAND

ROBERT_BRAND QRZ Member

@K0CMH
    Thanks for the information, I ordered a Ham Bible, (for information)
    So with these radios's
    Are they All limited to (my)Rig TO Repeator to (your ) Rig.
    if two Hams are with in 3 miles can they talk from Rig to rig. (not using a repeator..

5. WS2L

WS2L Guest

Robert,

What is your callsign ?

6. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this makes at least two of us who suspect this entire thread is a troll. The poster seems to refuse to answer this question.

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

He just took the test 2/20. He hasn't had time to get his call yet.

..........Bob

8. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Robert, repeaters are intended just to extend the range of mobile and portable stations. In many areas, it's considered 'good form' to make contact on the repeater and then switch to 'direct' or 'simplex'. Of course the simplex range of an HT is pretty short - usually less than 1 mile. But if that HT can work into a mountaintop repeater, then it has the range of the repeater, which can be huge.

By about mid-May, 10 meters will be opening up for short skip fairly regularly. It's very common in the summertime. This is called Eskip. Oddly enough, Eskip works just backwards from the long distance worldwide propagatoin we call F-layer skip. Eskip is better when there are no sunspots. So, I'd expect the Eskip season to be poorer this year than last year.

But, hopefully next fall, the sunspots will be back well enough that 10 will be open for F-layer skip during the day, almost every day. Then, you will be able to work all over with a small antenna and low power.

Right now, we're seeing the 15 and 12 meter bands coming to life. 10 should follow in a year or less.

9. KC9KHG

KC9KHG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree! That's probably why he was told he was not allowed to talk on the repeater...or whatever 2M frequency he was on.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  10. KE4FSL

KE4FSL Ham Member QRZ Page

As far as the handhelds go, don't bother worrying about 6 meter coverage, simply because they are 6m FM only. 2M repeaters use FM modulation, and vertically polarized antennas (antenna held up and down versus parallel to the ground). 6m FM is also going to be very local only. They do have 6m repeaters but, and they are FM as well (also vertically polarized like the 2m FM ones are). They do work well but still not as much distance improvement over 2m repeaters at the same altitude, as you would think (or people hope for). Getting the distance out of 6 meter needs the same "tricks" as getting the distance out of 2 meter. With FM, since it is vertically polarized, antenna height is king. The higher your antenna, the longer your usable distance (called radio horizon). From handheld to handheld, you can get about as far as 5-8 miles, and extra wattage will not help you much, it's all a height issue. If instead, I am talking handheld to repeater that is at 800 feet up, I have no problem getting the signal to run a 30-40 mile distance (and do it daily on 5 watts from where I live into Richmond's repeaters).

Now, if you want to go PAST that limit (radio horizon), you need to get your signal to either bounce off the ionosphere, or get ducted in either a Tropospheric duct or other phenomenon. You can EASILY get 5 watts of 6m signal to go a few hundred miles during the right condition, but not with FM and vertically polarized antennas. If you switch to a horizontally polarized antenna (put the antenna on the side of your car instead of the top kind of idea), and switch to SSB modulation instead of FM, then you can get those kinds of results. You can even get a few hundred miles out of 2m SSB with a horizontally polarized antenna and a few watts. The main key is the change from FM to SSB. FM has to have enough signal hit the receiver to be captured and detected. SSB just needs enough to be stronger than the noise floor (Local, Galactic, and internal noise sources). SSB is designed for weak signal work almost as much as CW (Morse code), and some of the digital modes are.

The problem is that almost all (I don't know of any that are) handhelds are FM only as far as transmit, so using SSB for long distance is not going to happen with a handheld. There are portable units that WILL do 2m and 6m SSB (as well as the HF bands and other modulation modes), but they are not handheld.

I use:
    FT-817: 70cm, 2m, 6m, and all of the HF bands in one very portable package. Output power is 5 watts on all bands and the receive sensitivity is good enough to work distance communications easily. I have used it quite often on the 6 meter SSB net here in VA, and can talk with stations as far away as North Carolina and the western part of the state (100+ miles away) using a simple dipole antenna. I have used this with my beam and hit as far as Ohio and NY.

FT-857: Same bands as the 817, but power at 100W for HF and 6m, 50W for 2m, and 35W for 70cm. It is a mobile radio so it is not as portable as the 817, but has a bit more power for "less than ideal" conditions.

Either one works better the more that the band conditions open up. During some mornings and later evenings both 6m and 2 meter can go wild. 1,000+ mile contacts are possible. Sure HF bands make the long distance communications easier, since the band opens easier the lower the frequency, but even with a Tech license and 10m, 6m, and 2m, you CAN get some DX contacts thanks to SSB comms.

VHF/UHF distance records:
    http://www.qsl.net/pnwvhfs/scores/distance_records.htm
    http://www.nzart.org.nz/vhf/2009-2008-ww-records.html
    http://www.ham.se/vhf/dxrecord/dxrec.htm

Now, what I would suggest is to get a simple VHF/UHF handheld, and then a multimode, multiband radio like either the 817 or the 857, that way you have the handheld for portable repeater work, and the other for the long distance play. Plus, this will give you more reason to get your license upgraded to at least General so you can use those lower HF bands (you will already have the radio needed, you just need to get/make new antennas to us the other bands). (Solar cycle is going up and the lower bands are really starting to shine).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.