ad: BKQSL-1

2 Meter Packet?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N4LCV, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4LCV

N4LCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there much activity, still, on 2 meter packet? What about DX spotting nets there? Etc? Thinking about getting into that if there is much activity, but I'd hate to invest in equipment only to find out that there isn't much activity there any more. Does it depend on where in the country you live?

Thanks

N4LCV

2. N5USR

N5USR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it'll depend greatly on where you are.

I have seen some posts from a few others here that mention packet activity still in their areas, to varying degrees. For my area, I've looked off and on occasionally and found nothing but APRS.

When talking about it on air, a couple of other local hams said they'd like to play with packet again, so I have thought about putting something up on one of the old node frequencies but just haven't done it. I used to run JNOS, TNOS and then the Linux "native" AX.25 stack. Nice software packages at the time, but it's been years since I messed with it.

You really don't need to invest much anymore though, you can do it all via software with a computer soundcard interfaced to the radio, just like PSK and other digital modes. I think there are some software packages for which packet is just another mode selection like anything else too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.