ad: elecraft

2 meter indoor antenna??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD8HYU, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the arrow 2m/440 j pole up for about 6-8 months and had no issues. Mine was on a 5ft peice of PVC pipe connected to my 6ft privacy fence. So effectively my antenna was bracket was 9 feet off the ground with the tines going up from there.

I got great reception and could hit all of the repeaters in central Ohio. I even would hit afew that were 50+ miles out (if I cranked the power up to 50w). But normally 5w would hit everything I would want to hit.

Hope this helps.

2. KB3PXR

KB3PXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a half-wave magmount I got at a hamfest for five dollars and just put it on the stove when I need longer range than my quarter-wave whip I have on my HT allows for. I can hold WB8YZB from the kitchen on the half-wave when I would have to walk outside with the quarter-wave whip. Both with the same radio. If I need to relocate to get a job, I plan on using this trick to get better coverage. Remember I only use five-watts on a VX-7R.

3. KD8HYU

KD8HYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I have ended up with a T.V. twin lead hanging in my shack from the ceiling and have also made a ground plane that I have ingeniously :) thrown out my window into a tall bush that is about 3 feet away. I have also purchased an Arrow antenna and engineered a mast and stand that I can take outside when I want to get a little further out than I can when I'm inside. Again, thanks for all the help and advise!! 73s.

4. W1GUH

W1GUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hold off on making or getting anything til you've tried your duck. In my radio hostile environment, the one happy point is that 2m and 70 cm FM seem to be negligably affected by concrete and steel. I've worked through distant repeaters with 2.5 watts using just the duck. You might have the same good luck.

SSB small signal work is another matter. 2m beams are small enough that you can reasonably have one inside. A homebrew 5 elemeny yagi would be a great start. They're small and cheap and easy to make. I plan on this myself when I've had a chance to see what type of activity is around down on that part of the band.

Have fun!

5. KJ4DBD

KJ4DBD QRZ Member QRZ Page

Anyone tried the desk buddy suspended in the attic?

6. N4EDX

N4EDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Dont laugh... I used a set of Rabbit ears and it is SWR

tunable... I pulled both antennas out and then tuned with an MFJ369? it was flat and I keyed it up after checking the gauge of wire used in the construction of the rabbit ears.. it hits repeaters 60 miles away !
    Ed

7. KD8HYU

KD8HYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive tried my duck and it doesnt work all that great.. In the apartment I get no signal at all and outside its ok some of the time. Ive actually found a VHF/UHF emergency deployable antenna designed by W2IK that is AWESOME!! I use it in my apartment and I can hit all the repeaters in my area with good audio ini and out. When I hang it out my window I get full quieting into and out of the repeaters. Ive even put this thing up on my extension pole mast I have and I can hit a repeater in Bowling Green, OH.. its like 20 to 25 miles as the crow flies, with a half watt. I am really impressed with it..

8. KD0ETH

KD0ETH Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone had any experience with this antenna, or DPD Productions in general. I'm debating on whether I want to dill around with putting up an external antenna at my duplex (My landlord would probably let me do something) or just do an indoor something for now. To be honest I have a Diamond MR77 on a pizza tin on a shelf that doesn't work half bad (probably not half good though either :)).

http://www.dpdproductions.com/page_ham.html

9. KF6NFW

KF6NFW Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that two metal coat hangers straightend out and stuck to the bottom of a 5/8 wave mag mount sitting on the window sill, worked great from most any location.

When I lived in an upstairs apartment I also used small gauge wire and made a dipole, and hung this out the window, after making a seal for the window gap out of a strip of styrofoam.

10. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Attic dipole

I have just a vertical dipole attached to a stud in the attic. The dipole wire is insulated 14 ga. electrical wire fed in the middle with a RG58 jumper which has a couple of ferrite beads slipped over the outside of the coax to keep RF off of the outside of the cable and insure a true vertical dipole antenna pattern. The main antenna run from the attic to the basement is RG8x, works great with my VX170 for the local 2 meter repeaters, of course I'm located on a hill and not in a valley.

Frank :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.