2 meter indoor antenna??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD8HYU, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4INF

W4INF Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, the 2m dipole were talking about, you want to have it pointed up and down for FM work, then it will be vertically polarized.

For SSB work, you want it side to side for horizontal polarization.

No, this is no April Fool's thing, check google and you will know were steering u right!

Also, the "desk buddy" is a FB antenna! You can get better results if you hang it off a piece of rope and suspend it from a wooden/fiberglass/plastic (non metalic) broom handle or something, and stick it OUTSIDE, it will work a LOT better.

GL & 73-
    Andrew

2. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the best inside antenna's I had was a metal box fan. This was an old school box fan where the grates were metal also.

I gutted the the box fan, and used my dremel to cut two of the round bars on the guard. I bent them up with plyers and dropped my (4 hole) over the bent up bars.

Bend the rods back down over the SO-239 base and solder. Then solder a 19 inch rod in the center and a rubber cap on top. Great desktop antenna that has a built in ground plane.

Ofcourse I was quite happy with a 19 inch 2m mag mount on a cookie sheet.

3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another idea to try - if your window faces in a desirable direction, you can make a ground plane out of metal tape on the inside of the window. Cut three pieces of metal tape about 19 1/2 " long. Angle the radials down at a 45 degree angle. You can tape the coax in place. Use a razor blade to trim for best SWR if needed. You can also make a yagi on a door this way, and use the door to aim the yagi!

4. WA8RTI

WA8RTI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think QST ran a plan for making a J-pole out of adhesive copper that could be stuck to a window. You might be able to search the ARRL web site and find the article.

5. AI4IJ

AI4IJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You might use metal security tape, like is used for alarm systems to detect glass breakage. Just stick two pieces of the metal tape (about 19.25" long each) on your window in a vertical dipole configuration, attach your coax to the two pieces of tape at the center, and enjoy!

Of course, you could also do the same thing horizontally, if you want to work 2M SSB.

Richard
    AI4IJ

6. N4BCD

N4BCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's what works for me & my VX-150. Twinlead J-Poles are inexpensive & easy so I built a couple and have one each for the office, shack, and car. Coax is permanently attached with BNC on the end of each antenna. One BNC/SMA adapter stays on the HT, so I just connect the antenna I'm close to. They're lightweight so you can hang them from anything and easy to move (like if you have a buried wire in a wall). They're doing fine running 3W on the HT to hit the repeaters 12 miles away with full quieting.

Two of these are made from 450ohm ladderline and 1 from 300ohm twinlead. The conventional wisdom is that 300 ohm is the preferred material. However I find it easier to work with the 450 ohm ladderline and don't see any difference on XMIT or RCV.

Mark

7. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member QRZ Page

I really liked the "weather vane" antenna he makes for HOA restricted areas.
    "It's so attractive, the neighbors will want one!" hahahaha
    Now that's a great idea! :D

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  8. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

During the last 20 years there have been dozens of indoor 2 metre antenna plans in QST, and there are books available as well. Do a Google and a few should appear, as if by magic.

G0GQK

9. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

A twat meter ???

10. K4AYD

K4AYD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in a similar situationn. I thought about buying a dual band j-pole and just sitting it inside my window. No metal nearby. Do you think this will work well? Will my SWR be high?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.