2 meter indoor antenna??

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KD8HYU, Mar 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8HYU

KD8HYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Any suggestions for an antenna that I can use in my apartment? I have no balcony, only a window. I'm working on a ground plane and also a di-pole. I'm using a VX-170. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. N5USR

N5USR Ham Member QRZ Page

I used a dual band mobile antenna that was sold as a "no ground plane" antenna on a mag-mount for many years. The mag-mount base was just because it was heavy - kept the antenna from falling over in the window. Worked well.

I also had a J-pole made out of 1/2" copper tubing, used the base from an old halogen floor lamp to hold it up. Only issue I had, my dorm room was metal lath under plaster - J-poles do NOT like that much metal nearby! (Well, most antennas don't, but the J-pole REALLY didn't!)

Of course, a 1/4 wave ground plane made out of some scrap house wire (or even coat hangers) and an SO-239 works well too.

3. KC9ECI

KC9ECI Ham Member QRZ Page

http://hometown.aol.com/alonestaryank/DESKBUDDY.html

4. K5OP

K5OP Ham Member QRZ Page

I made a 1/2 wave gain j-pole using 450 ohm ladder line. Very easy antenna to make and since it's only made with ladder line you can hang it up in the corner of a room along the wall and it should work fine. Works for me...

I took a 55" piece of 450 ohm ladder line. And just followed the directions on making a portable j-pole found online (google is your friend)

You take one side and cut it down to about 19" then at the bottom you solder the two ends together, and about 2 inches above that you solder the center conductor of the some coax to the 55 inch side of the ladder line, and the braid side of the coax to the 19" side of the ladder line. Tape it up, make a few coiled turns about 18 " down the coax from the antenna, and hook it into your radio...

now you have a gain vertical portable j-pole antenna for 2 meters which also works on 440 too. Just do a search for portable j-pole for 2 meters you'll find the instructions with pictures.

5. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

many two meter antennas are small
    as a kid novice op
    my first two meter antenna was a
    3 el yagi made with a one by two boom
    and no 10 gage wire for the elements
    it was in my ham shack bed room

it took one copy of a old style ARRL Antenna Handbook
    and 2 hours on a sunday afternoon to make
    worked great

other indoor home made antennas
    ive see made out of the foil strip
    used for alarm systems

there are tons of easy to build two meter antennas
    just do a dogpile/google search

easy and fun to make and they work
    as good as anything you buy from a store

just came back from doing a google search
    punched in " 2 meter antennas "
    there are pages and pages of build your own 2 meter antenna projects

yours truly
    Mac

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  6. VA3SAX

VA3SAX Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked repeaters for years off a quarter wave with radials hung up in the room. it worked well. I could get most everything I needed to on 5 watts

7. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

hi
    if you just have a 2 meter radio, you just make a Full Wave Loop for 2 meters out of some wire and just tape it to the window glass.

8. KD8HYU

KD8HYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the help!!:)

9. KC4RP

KC4RP Ham Member QRZ Page

2 Meters is easy

I have made two mtr antennas out of 12 ga solid house wire soldered into a pl-259 with silicon rubber poured in to insulate it. If all you are working is a repeater no more than 8-10 miles off this should work for you. I have worked 2m SSB with a 4 element homemade beam hung from the ceiling and positioned with a piece of fishing line off the back end tied to a map tack that could be stuck in the ceiling. Beam was about 3' long with a turning radius of under 24". Turned vertical this would also be fine for FM. 5/8 wave mobiles on a mag mount (for weight) are a good option too.

WB5MJT

10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

J-poles

I worked security before my illness and used a vx-170 at work when i was in the tower at one of my sites.

there are plenty of websites that describe a 2 meter j-pole from inexpensive 300 ohm tv wire which you might be able to scavenge from something around the house.
    worked great for me. should be able to mount it with a couple of thumbtacks or something. only thing is you will need an adapter to hook the coax into the radio.
    best bet would be to use one of the jumper types to keep the strain off the antenna connector.

http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/jpole.htm

http://www.rlham.com/cgi-bin/shop/modellookup.dbw?MODEL=HS05

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.