2 meter CW transmitters

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K5FAL, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K5FAL

K5FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. Any way to get on 2 meter CW without paying a small fortune for an 'all mode' transceiver?

I know there is no one there and I will never hear anything but static, but I'd still like to have it. I think it would be fun if I could find someone to play with.

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

You can modulate your 2 meter rig with the output of an audio oscillator. It's not CW by any stretch of the imagination, and I don't even agree that it's really MCW. If your rig is FM only, you'd still be using FM, but with audio dits and dahs.

3. K5AHH

K5AHH Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AG6WT

AG6WT Ham Member QRZ Page

It depends what you consider to be too expensive. If you shop around you might be able to get a Kenwood TR-751a in the low $200 range. It's a very good 2-meter all-mode. The cheaper ones don't have the optional tone board installed. I bought a like new one for $240 with a tone board. When I was shopping around I couldn't find any thing cheaper.

5. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello OM

few ideas
    if you are a advanced builder
    see the KK7B two meter kits by Kanga US

if willing to go with old tube type gear
    the Ameco TX-62 is a good old six and two meter AM CW xmtr
    can often pick them up at a swap for less than twenty bucks
    they are rock bound
    but 8 mhz rocks for it are plentiful and cheap
    there is a outboard vfo for it
    but it may cost you more than the transmitter

if you have a rig that covers ten meters
    you can then hook a older two meter receive conveter
    say like the Ameco CN-144
    to receive

for a few years my AM CW two meter lash up was
    a Ameco TX 62 and a Clegg Intercepter receiver,
    hb antenna change over relay, and hb four el quad
    with feed line and a junk tv rotator
    had all of one hundred fifty bucks invested in the lash up
    " think old Clegg Intercepter receivers are going for more money now "

or you can find a older transverter to hook to your hf rig

kj6amf is right about some older rice box ssb cw two meter rigs
    they are selling for lots less than they did just a few years ago

my last two meter cw lash up was a Downeast microwave transverter
    hooked to a hf exciter/receiver

note
    nearly all 50's 60's two meter AM xceivers
    will not run cw
    can be converted by putting in a keying arangement
    and a bfo
    but i would not bother
    more work than its worth

root around
    there are about a dozen cheap ways to go

to me the big expense is first rate feed line

yours truly
    mac dit dit

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Elecraft has their XV-2 2 meter transverter kit for $379. That would give you both SSB and CW.

Some other elderly radios to seek: IC-290H and IC-202. The little 202 is a fun rig.
    I haven't seen a working one for many years, but they were decent. There's 202 on EBay with 'low output'. Since the 202 didn't have much to spare in the first place, I'd be a little concerned about that, but it might not be a big deal, either. Nobody's bid on it yet, so you might get it cheap.

7. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I certainly understand what Mac is trying to say about good feedline. But if you are just looking for "someone to play with", it is likely going to be someone in your local area that you can arrange "skeds" with, and the signal strength is not going to be all that low. So I wouldn't worry about the "expensive feedline" horizontally polarized high gain antennas, etc.

I would just get the audio oscillators, and set them near the microphone as an earlier poster suggested.

What is the main reason you want to use CW on the VHF/UHF frequencies? You already suggest "just wanting to play". Might you be interested in getting into real "weak signal work" ? If you eventually get into such advanced modes as Moonbounce, Meteor Scatter, etc. you are going to want to get much more sophisticated equipment. So perhaps you should start saving your shekles now !

Just a thought. 73 and good luck! Jim

8. K5FAL

K5FAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the replies, guys.

73 de K5FAL

9. W0BTU

W0BTU Ham Member QRZ Page

IF you can find any, Hamtronics made a receive converter and a transmitting converter. That's what I mostly used, with my Collins S/Line on 28 MHz. Cheap way to go.

There were two different Hamtronics, in two different states, BTW.

10. AG6JU

AG6JU Guest

here in USA, even Southern California, I never heard CW on 2 mtr . but in Japan specially near big cities, CW on 2 mtr are common.
    I have seen a article, converting FM receiver to CW/SSB receiver by adding BFO / demodulator , using NE602, 455KHz IF output from 455kHz IF ceramic filter went into input of NE602, and beat against 455kHz BFO OSC. and get output of NE602 to audio amp.
    of cause, if you just key FM radio without any modulation, it is CW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.