ad: wmr-1

2 meter beam

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9PNN, Feb 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are looking for a modest, factory-made antenna, I highly recommend the M2 2M7 antenna. I have been using one a few years.

2. KC9PNN

KC9PNN Ham Member QRZ Page

i dont have a hf radio at this time thanks for the input keep it coming

3. N5XO

N5XO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Depending on the area you live and how often you enjoy ducting, etc in that region…..you can do very well with a modest system….With a little bit of effort…you can enjoy regular contacts 100+ miles…..

For an entry level station to get started…..I would recommend the following.

At least 100 Watts {you can get away with less, but depend more on ducting}
    No less than a 13 element beam, CushCraft makes some affordable entry level 13 to 15 element beams

And the most vital part to your VHF/UHF Station…LOW LOSS CABLE, your goal needs to be 1DB loss or better….If your run is under 100 ft, you can expect decent performance from LMR 400 {this should be your minimum cable} over 100ft…invest in 1/2 or better hard line.

Get your antennas up as high as possible….with a minimum goal above the surrounding tree's {they will absorb a great deal of signal}.

We set these as minimum levels for our Weak Signal Group in San Antonio….We enjoy conversations daily with Houston, Austin, Waco, Kerrville, and Corpus Christi….then with good band conditions…the sky is the limit….with contacts up to 1400 miles. 14 to 15 of our members have now broken the 10 State Barrier with 3 members breaking the 25 state barrier on 2 meters and 1.25 m….with 4 of us hitting the 7 state limits on 70cm and 23cm.

A lot is possible…but the vital key is low feed line loss and being able to hear the signals…..

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been on 2m for 49 years and mostly agree. Especially the part about getting the antenna up high.

Long time on this band, at many, many locations...and my rule of thumb is, 'If you can't see your 2m beam from several blocks away in every direction, it's definitely not high enough.'

5. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the 2M7 and the two portions of it fit into my Hyundai Sonata along with a three element 6 meter beam (also requires at site assembly) an 11 element 70cm beam and push-up mast.
    Found that using a step ladder instead of trying to swing the mast up, works much better when assembling the antennas.
    I use the arm strong method of rotation. Feed line is usually 50 feet down the mast to my car parked directly below.
    It works okay but needs improvement (I'm working on that:rolleyes:). This is all for the contests and sometime portable operations.
    The location I frequent is about 7000 feet up with a good view in all directions. Height makes things work so much better.

In my early days I built an 8 element Quagi, just as Glen has suggested. It worked the first time and lasted a while in wet weather.
    It's also about 14 feet long and a bit more difficult to break down into transportable pieces. I did do that on one occasion. I put it all into a 1976 Honda Civic. These were really small then.

Have fun
    Gary

P.S. I haven't run into very many transverters that can be mast mounted and as stated, a feed line length of 50 feet isn't much loss.

6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just puzzled. RG-8/U is an obsolete (LONG obsolete) designation; the current mil-spec is RG-213/U, which isn't the lowest loss cable available for VHF or UHF. Other type made by Belden and Times Microwave (LMR series) are much lower in loss.

Most transverters have low power output, so would normally require an external amp as well; few of those are rated for outdoor (such as mast mounted) installation, so additional antenna and switchover relay considerations would be required; hardly something for a weekend contest installation.

The best solution under the circumstances is to use the best coax one can afford. For this application, that's probably LMR-400, in one of it's several variations.

7. WA9SVD

Well, thanks for the recommended minimum daily requirements. I've been on VHF/UHF for 45 years, and yet I don't meet your requirements, but I seem to do all right. I'd love to have a 90' tower, with 10 el on 6 M, and about 20 el. on 2 meters with 1.5 kW amps for each band, and a second tower with 22 el on 70 cm, and a quadrature of 30 element beams for 23 cm.

But We need to understand that not everyone can have even a pipe dream of what they would LIKE to have, and have to live with what they have, or can afford.

Sorry, but I'm glad I'm not a member of your "Weak Signal Group," even if I lived in your area.

8. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Lmr400 is not the best you can find. Maybe look at the times microwave catalog.

Mil-spec? Honestly? I work for Uncle Sam and let me fill you in on a little fact: mil-spec means a fully certified idiot wasted ten years of his life politicking a solution to a non-problem. Ten venders submitted designs. One of which was worth a damn. The rest was junk. The one that was worth a damn was made by a wholly private-sector company with zero political ties and was therefore not selected as a supplier. The remaining 9 resubmitted bids many times due to "mission creep". Finally a vendor was chosen but another vendor was told (by the lobbyist they bought hookers and blow for) that they were sure going to get the contract. Legal got involved and held the project up for another four years. By that time the budget has been blown by 8.3 times it's projected amount and a sub-sub-contractor called radio shack and ordered 50 spools "unmarked" with a new government designator. The sub-sub-contractor was latter made a fed (and certified idiot after much training) becaus he single-handedly saved the project (but paid four times retail for the spools).

Anyway: whatever. Jesus loves you and America too.

9. KA2BPP

KA2BPP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you have stated you want to work portable, I would suggest, as others have, the M2 7 ele or even the 9 ele beam. A push up pole that YOU can handle safely, maybe 10-15 feet and since the cable run will be most likely under 50 feet, LMR400 flex. As far as a tripod, I don't have any suggestions other than maybe a small roof top type 3 leg type held down by cinder blocks? You will hear and work stations. It will not be a killer station as others suggest for your
    portable operation.

After being bitten by the weak signal bug, in 1992 I had added another 2 CC 215WB to the 2 I already had on my roof. That October an ice storm decided I really didn't want 4 antennas. Long story is that after being off the air for a number of years and reasons, I resurrected 2 of the antennas out of the rubble and stuck them in the picnic table on a 10 pipe, a rotor then 15 ft of tv mast to hold the 2 antennas. Been that way for a number of years. Not the best but I am on the air and having a blast. Yes, my rec preamp helps a lot but I can work 2-300 miles on average every day. I does help a bit that I am 320 ft ASL. And for where I live, that's almost a mountain top. This spring they will be up on the roof on a 8 foot tower. Above the house and trees.

Point is, many folks do the minimum and have fun. Since you have decided to use the ssb side of the radio and not concentrate on the fm, you will have fun. It will be a little frustrating but during contests and band openings you will have a ball with the portable setup.

Have fun. Make some noise

10. WA9SVD

Sure, there's LMR-600, and various sizes of Andrews hard line, as long as price is no object for feedline and connectors. There's little available that competes with LMR-400 while still using standard PL-259 or even UG/21 type "N" Connectors. If you know of any such lower loss coax, that uses "regular" coax connectors that are readily available, please enlighten us.

The rest of your post seemed like a personal tirade.